Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Employee

Download of Unity 4.0.3 UM is same as for VM

One of our customers claimed that when gone out to download Unity 4.0.3 VM that is was not any different than the 4.0.3 UM.

In that the 4.0.3 Unity VM was essentially UM capable and that (although illegal), nothing "theoretically" could prevent a customer to purchse/use Unity 4.0.3 VM and have Outlook Clients/Subcribers setup for UM

Can we please confirm/correct this statement.

I was always under the impression that we had seperate code on CCO, one for VM and another for UM .

7 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Download of Unity 4.0.3 UM is same as for VM

Your customer is correct. There is no difference between UM and VM code.

I should point out that TAC can determine the difference based on licensing and customers that do choose to configuration Unity as UM when they only paid for VM will not be supported at all.

Thanks,

Keith

Cisco Employee

I'd also like to add that your customer could "theoretically" install 100 copies of Office with a single license code, burn CDs of copyrighted material and any number of other illegal things. Just be aware they are, without a doubt, out of compliance with their licensing agrement not only with Cisco but with Microsoft.

I assure you, they aren't the first to "discover" this - it's not something we hide - and we aren't shy about making sure customers that have "mistakenly" installed an illegal configuration that they are out of compliance.

I could be totaly wrong here (someone please correct me if I am) but wouldn't your flex-lm lic. prevent you from configuring UM features if it was gened for VM only?

Cisco Employee

You wont be able to get your email over the phone (TTS) for instance but we can't prevent you from connecting a desktop client like Outlook up to point to an exchange mailbox configured for VM only (i.e. sites that are only licensed to get VM from over the phone can illegally point desktop clients to those mailboxes and get their messages from the desktop). There's not much we can do to stop this programatically, of course, but it _is_ an illegal configuration and violates both the Cisco and Microsoft agreements.

Cisco Employee

Understood Jeff,

So thus Unity has always had this be possible even in the days of 2.4X and 3.X.X?

Cisco Employee

sure... there's nothing we can do to prevent folks from attaching an Outlook client to an Exchange mailbox on out end of the pond... other than their good sense of morality.

Gold

I should add that down the line we will be able to tell the difference. The Kubrick project for Unity is a multiphase multiyear re-architecture and the end state will allow us to know exactly how many UM and VM subscribers you have installed on a given system and you will not be able to use UM unless you have paid for it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content