cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dt24+ not registering with CallManager

robrhodes
Level 3
Level 3

I have two DT-24+ gateways, neither of which will register with CallManager (version 3.3.2).

The gateways get ip addresses from the local dhcp server which has both option 150 and option 66 set. I have IP phones in the same subnet and they come up fine.

I have turned on tracing, but i get no indication that the devices are even attempting to register.

Any suggestions?

5 Replies 5

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

One possible reason could be that the DT24+ gateways are already up with 8 bit loads. Since 3.3.2 comes along with 12 bit loads, the DT gateways do not come up. Solution is to rename the current 12 bit load in the CM to 8 bit load by truncating the last 4 digits, modify the "device default" page in the CM administration page to have the modified 8 bit load.

Gave that a shot, no change. I've checked the Event Viewer on the CallManagers and I'm not seeing any errors. Guess I have to put a sniffer on the network to see what's going on.

We would see this problem sometimes on DT24+ cards. They seem to keep the old IP/tftp addresses and will remember it even if the power is removed for a moment or if the system is just rebooted.

Try pulling the cards out the PC and leaving for a couple of hours, then plug them back in. They may get the correct addresses.

The cards had been uninstalled for several months before I recently attempted to put them back into service.

I moved the cards to another dhcp server & subnet and pointed to a different CM cluster. I get Transient Device Connect events in the app. log which indicates that the phones are attempting to register (had not been config'd yet). As soon as I add the gateway configs in CM the event messages stop and the cards never register.

I'm going to guess that the issue is related to the device load. I seem to recall that on the 7935s there was an issue where one could not go directly from a specific (old) load to what was then the latest load. There was an intermediate firmware that had to be loaded before going to the latest. Perhaps something similar is going on with these? I believe these were last used with a CM 3.1 build. I will try to connect these to a CM 3.2 system to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

For anyone interested the problem was the default behavior of the tftp service in CM3.3. The default parameters cache the .cnf.xml configuration files rather than write them to disk. The DT24s were therefore unable to find the config file and would not register. After changing the service parameters the config files were written to the TFTPPath directory and the DT24s registered with no further problem.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee942d8/0#selected_message

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008013936e.html#xtocid1