cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Server Same Site 2.46 to 3.1 Single Server Upgrade

cvain
Level 1
Level 1

Looking to migrate two UnityUM servers (1 PBX, 1 CM) in same Ex Site to a new dual integration 3.1 server (Message store off-box)

I don't see any problem doing two exports, 1 from each existing server and then importing sequentially onto the new box.

Currently AD, Exchange 5.5 environment will eventually migrate to Ex2K.

Do you see any potential issues with this upgrade ? Already have an OK on consolidating the licenses onto a single key (8port + 16port to 24port)

Thanks,

Chris

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no way to do a "merge import" however... you can use DiRT to migrate one of the boxes over to your new box but the 2nd box you'll have to manually import those users into the new Unity server. The DiRT import is a "whole system" import which includes registry and local file information, it does not do a "brick level" import to insert new objects into the new system, it overwrites the whole shebang...

Thanks Jeff.

So for the smaller system, we'll have to do a thorugh audit, save CH and user greetings to Wave files, and then re-create CHs, manually import users, paste in the greetings, double check parameters etc. No shortcuts ?

Chris

Jeff, I'm not sure I see why I need to use DiRT here.

First a clarification: We were only going to use a third server to make the upgrade safer/easier. In reality, we are going from two servers to one server.

Using the Unity DB Export tool to export users and then the Import tool to re-import. This should bring in user greetings and recorded name but not password - correct ?

You're saying I can't run the import tool twice.

Is it possible to merge the exported files from the two original servers prior to doing the import ?

Just wanted to clarify.

Chris

unfortunately no... Merging two Unity servers into one system isn't something that's done a lot so I haven't spent the cycles on a tool to do brick level imports - which is a lot of work.

The main problem is how everything is hooked together at the system level. Everyone's 0 key, for instance, is mapped to an operator call handler by defalt. One one box that will be a different Object than the other and there would have to be some really tricky logic to go through and either clean up all the broken links or make "educated guesses" as to what they should be linked to in the new system they'll be imported into. You have to do this for all the one key links, after greeting, after message links, owners and message recipients on each object you need to import. Tough stuff that's sure to have plenty of bugs along the way...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: