Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Dual Switch

A client wants to do a dual switch integration without using any dialogic cards. The thought is that the Meridian will be connected to a VG200 via T1 crossover and a CallManger would be connected via IP to the VG200. The Meridian will send any CFNA and RNA calls to the Voice Mail port on the CallManager by routing the call to the VG200. My question is this, is this supported and if so how does Unity get the call setup information such as reason the call is forwarded and the port that the call is coming in on? I would imagine that this is still the job of the Meridian via the PBXLink. But I am not sure how the Meridian would know which port the call is sent to since it just forwards the call to a DN and the CallManager sends it to the first available port on Unity. If this is supported, is it documented?

Thanks,

Dave

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Dual Switch

What's proposed here isn't actually dual switch for Unity. Unity would be connected to CallManager.

"My question is this, is this supported and if so how does Unity get the call setup information such as reason the call is forwarded and the port that the call is coming in on? "

Unity would get the call information and setup from CallManager. Whether the forwarding information would be accurate for correct integration is unknown. There are many factors, specifically all of the components that compose the link between the Nortel and the VG200 (Nortel programming, T1 interface, etc...)

"I would imagine that this is still the job of the Meridian via the PBXLink. But I am not sure how the Meridian would know which port the call is sent to since it just forwards the call to a DN and the CallManager sends it to the first available port on Unity. "

No, the PBXLink is essentially a digital phone that hangs off the Nortel. It's needed for incoming call information when teh Unity server is directly connected to the Nortel with Dialogic boards.

However, a PBXLink would be needed if the Unity subscribers on the Nortel switch wanted MWIs.

I do not believe such a configuration is documented anywhere.

MWIs are a must for this client. I guess I am a little confused how the MWI would work. You said that it wouldn't really be a dual switch integration, so how would I have the MWI info get sent to the PBXlink for some phones and to the Callmanager for other phones?

Also can you tell me if this configuration is supported by Cisco? I guess if it isn't documented anywhere I am a little concerned.

Thanks much for the info,

Dave

Cisco Employee

So all call traffic will be handled through the Call Manager, and in this sense Unity is only integrated with one phone system. However, you can configure subscribers with Nortel phones to have their MWI control handled across the serial link to a PBXLink box, which then in turn is connected directly to the Nortel. The general model for doing this is outlined here...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/integuid/callma33/itcicm33.htm#xtocid30

Again, the biggest unknown in such a deployment will be the ability of your gateway to pass all the call info so that calls from the Nortel to Unity can be fully integrated.

Cisco Employee

"You said that it wouldn't really be a dual switch integration, so how would I have the MWI info get sent to the PBXlink for some phones and to the Callmanager for other phones? "

There's a way to enable "alternate" MWIs for subscribers. What that means is that certain users can have one MWI type (Skinny for the subscribers with phones on CCM) and certain users can have another type (Serial for the subscribers with phones on Nortel)

I found that this actually documented. Check out the following link (with the serial cable there, insert the PBXLink)...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/integuid/callma33/itcicm33.htm#xtocid30

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content