cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Speed Dial?

minatcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I'm looking into ways to dynamically set/remove "temporary" speed dial from my program. For example, when press a button, the program will load a set of phone numbers and map them as speed dials, which means user can press the speed dial button the left side of the phone to dial a specific number. And the temporary speed dials will be removed after the call end.

Besides the SpeedDial sample in the SDK, anything else I should check out? Thank you very much for your help!!!

8 Replies 8

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Umm.. I think you're going to get yourself into a lot of trouble. Changes you make to speeddials only show up after a soft reset of the phone.. so any changes you make while a call is active, will only show after the call has ended and the phone has performed the soft reset. Thus, prior to the call you need to set your speeddials, then the phone resets, then you can continue your work, and after the call the phone has to be reset again to get rid of the temporary speeddials again. On top of that, if the phone profile allows speeddial buttons, you have to consider the possibility that the user makes use of them himself.. so your change is going to overwrite existing speeddials which you have to store somewhere and restore later on.

Thanks a lot for the replay!!! I guess reset the phone make this solution out of the question! Is there any other way my program can use those small buttons on the left side of the phone? Thank you very much for your help!!

That's just it.. you can't use those buttons.. just one of the many limitations that you have to explain to your prospective customers. But at least they get mad at Cisco, not us.

Unless you need the name of the "speed dial" beside the line/feature button, you could consider adding one or more instances of a service to the line/feature buttons. You would need to change the phone button template to add one or more service URLs to the phone so that services can be assigned to those line/feature buttons.

Then, when the user selects that line/feature button, it calls your service, which can make a call on behalf of the user using jtapi. This way the number that is called can be dynamically determined, as you mentioned you wanted.

Of course, the name of the service ("custom speeddial" or whatever) will always be listed beside that line/feature button, but at least you can customize what happens when the user presses that button at run-time...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803edaff.html

Thanks!!! It seems to work!! But is there a way to remove the "global" icon beside the line button where I defined a service? Thank you very much for your help!!

There is no way to remove the globe icon that I am aware of - the globe signifies that it is an XML Service (like a WWW icon or something along those lines) as opposed to a speed dial button...

Too bad we don't have control over that (at least, I am not aware of any way to control that behaviour, my guess is that it's built into the phone's firmware).

There's indeed no way to control that. We wanted to use that icon for a presence managing solution a while back, asked Cisco and the answer was a resounding no. With the new CCM 4.2 you at least get some kind of presence management now as you can use a line button simulatenously as speeddial and a pickup button for a specific extension (or was it release 5.0? I'm not sure now as I have not yet installed either new release).

I do hope Cisco will us more control in future release.... Thanks again for all your help!! really appreciate them!!!