E&M's only for interconnect PBX's?

s.tecnico
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have the next configuration:

phone=fxs=2600=e&m=pbx=phone.

We have configured the router, obtaining those results:

- The phone (fxs) can dial to the pbx extension, and the sound is perfectly.

- The phone (pbx extension) can´t call to fxs phone. The router can´t collect the call-leg digits.

Do the E&M cards only work with other E&M cards in the other peer, or could combine e&m cards with fxs, fxo cards?

The e&m voice-port configuration is:

operation 2-wire

cptone ES

type 5

signal immediate

Thanks in advanced,

Sergi.

8 Replies 8

m.tounsi
Level 1
Level 1

this configuration can work properly. I installed in a costmer's site . Try to virify witch e&m type the pbx's engenner has chosen. You can found an important paper that Cisco systems has posted for e&m troubleshooting.

Use this link for trouble shooting.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/signalling/signalling.shtml

From what you are saying you see the e&m get szd by the PBX. What is your config? Do you get a dial tone or a fast busy?

Hi everybody,

first of all, thanks for your comments.

I have visited the mentioned link recently but I keep on with the same problem.

Actually the router (2600 with 12.2(1) IOS) has this configuration:

!

voice-port 1/0/0

cptone ES

description E&M port

type 5

signal immediate

!

voice-port 1/0/1

cptone ES

description E&M port

type 5

signal immediate

!

voice-port 1/1/0

cptone ES

description FXS port

!

voice-port 1/1/1

cptone ES

description FXS port

!

dial-peer cor custom

!--CallManager

dial-peer voice 200 voip

destination-pattern 2..

session target ipv4:192.168.x.1

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

codec g711ulaw

!

dial-peer voice 10 pots

destination-pattern 0..

port 1/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 30 pots

destination-pattern 3[0-4]

port 1/1/0

!

dial-peer voice 35 pots

destination-pattern 3[5-9]

port 1/1/1

!

dial-peer voice 9 pots

destination-pattern 9

port 1/0/1

!

We have an Alcatel PBX. The PBX E&M card name's ATL and uses the protocol TELIC STATUS.

When I call from the PBX happens the following:

dial number for e&m trunk

receive dial tone

dial number for ip phone

At the moment when I dial the number for the ip phone I don't break the dial tone. It seems like did not interpret the digits, and did not work.

The test I did for making sure the e&m card and module are collecting the digits correctly, was the following:

1. Using a back to back cable(the console rollover cable supplied, for example),connect both e&m ports together.

2. Setup a new dial-peer as follows:

dial-peer voice 9 pots

destination-pattern 9

port 1/0/1

3. I use this dial-peer to do the following:

From the FXS phone dial 9

receive dial tone

dial number for ip phone

This work perfectly. And now we think that there is any kind of problem betwwem the two e&m cards (router and pbx devices), a configuration or a cable problem. I imagine that from the pbx point of view, conceptually, the router must be another PBX, then, must we maintain the same cable configuration and pinout?.

Note: I have tried changing the next voice port parameter without exit: auto-cut-trhoug, signal type, dial-type, etc.

We have configured the typical e&m configuration in some customers without problems (pbx=e&m=gateway=voip=gateway=e&m=pbx). In those cases the ATL (from Alcatel PBX) uses the protocol TELIC STATUS too. With a plar connection one pbx reaches the remote pbx and dial the desired extension.

Thanks and best regards,

Sergi.

System Engineer

Bytemaster S.A.

Premier Reseller

Spain, Barcelona.

Sergi, it seems like the router is not hearing the DTMF tones dialed from the PBX. I notice that the router E&M ports are configured for the default of 2 wire communication, which means that the router is expecting the tones on pins 4 and 5 but perhaps the PBX is configured for 4 wire audio and is sending the tones on pins 3 and 6. This is possible because you would still hear the dialtone from the router on pins 4 and 5 since that is where the PBX would expect it using 4 wire audio.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/signalling/21.html

Try to configure 'operation 4' on the E&M voice ports, then do shutdown and no shutdown and see if it makes any difference.

Sergi,

you may need to check the Alcatel ( trunk tables) and the first digit table to ensure the PBX knows that the digit dial is to be routed out a trunk. ( my background is Rolm PABX) . The first digit had to be define as extension, ringdown, or trunk (ie.. 9 for local dialing)

Hi everybody,

the pinout we use is the following.

PBX: ROUTER

1 (M)---------------------------7 (E)

2 (E)---------------------------2 (M)

3 (Voice)-------------------------4,5 (T1,R1)

4 (Voice)-------------------------5,4 (R1,T1)

This is our customer case (pbx=e&m=gateway=voip=gateway=e&m=pbx).

I wonder if the cable configuration must be different for the pbx and router case. Perhaps it must be a crossed cable. In was that way I did not understand why we can make calls from the router to pbx. I will test it.

I think that the pbx is not configured for 4 wire audio cause the ATL (E&M) card has only four pins.

From the pbx, we get the trunk to the router dialing "50", we hear the tone and when we dial any other digit the router seems like collect nothing.

Thanks,

Sergi.

juzoma
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sergi,

E&M Cards can only work with other E&M in the other peer.

Once you have E&M on end, you must have E&M on the end.

Thank you.

Joel.O. Uzoma

Hi everybody,

I have opened a TAC case and the engineer told us that it is possible to make calls from e&m to fxs in the other peer. We get it in the fxs to pbx direction, but not from pbx to fxs direction.

I have change the pinout cable configuration but I don't know what else to do. Do you have some idea?

Thanks,

Sergi.