cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E9-1-1 Required in New York State?

martin.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I am proposing an IPT solution to a London based customer, who has an office in New York City. I propose to run this site as a remote telephony site and apart from local gateways, do not intend to have any server systems at this site.

I do not know if the E9-1-1 Emergency Repsonder is a legal requirement in New York, and if so, is there a threashold (size of building, number of staff etc) for this requirement?

This is not a requirement here in Europe, so this is the first time I have looked into this.

4 Replies 4

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

As far as I know, Cisco Emergency Responder is a feature which is not a legal requirement.

Cisco Emergency Responder enables emergency agencies to identify the location of 911 callers and eliminates the need for any administration when phones or people move from one location to another. Enhancing the existing E9-1-1 functionality of Cisco CallManager, Cisco Emergency Responder's real-time location-tracking database and improved routing capabilities direct emergency calls to the appropriate Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) based on the caller's location.

You can find more information in the following location:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/unco/cer/prodlit/emerg_ds.htm

Thanks for your response - I have had one other response and so far concensus is that E911 is not required in NY State.

ms.

jcx233
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There are seven states that have laws on E911. lllinois and Vermont are leading the way. New York is not one of them.

I would check with the local authorites and legislature if you are not sure.

This topic is surprisingly hard to find information on.

Check out this URL for the National Emergency Number Association.

http://www.nena.org/9-1-1TechStandards/state.htm

Good Luck,

Tom T

Thanks for your response. I think most people would agree with you in that it seem extraordinarily difficult to seek out this info. I had heard that it is not currently a requirement in NY State, but wanted to be reaonably sure that weren't going to fall foul of the authorities.

As with the UK, I am sure that they would take the view that 'ignorance of the law is not a sufficient excuse'....!!

ms.