Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

echo and **3

The followin is an article I got from Cisco about how to troubleshoot echo:

If you have a phone number where echo is reproducible, use a 7960/40 to generate test tones and measure the ERL. Use the following procedure:

To enable the tone generator, type **3 on the 7960/40 keypad while the phone is not on a call. This will enable the ‘Tone’ softkey for as long as this phone is registered to CallManager.

Place a call to the source of echo

Once the call is established, hit the ‘i’ button twice. This will bring up the statistics for the call.

But **3 never works. Anybody has experienced this before?

3 REPLIES

Re: echo and **3

I saw a document that said the same. I tried the **3 and like you, nothing happened. CCM 3.3(3) sr2

HTH

D

Cisco Employee

The phone's configuration must be unlocked in order for that key sequence to actually have an effect. The key sequence to unlock the phone is **#, however to avoid resetting the phone and still enable the tone, I would recommend pressing:

**##**3

Then place a call, and once answered, double-tap the i button or ? button (depending on the age of your phone). You should then have the Tone softkey as an option, which will send out 1004Hz tone at -15dB.

NOTE: Once you start the tone, you can only terminate it by ending the call.

Thanks a lot. It works.

I have another question, in that article it mentioned to make a call to a loopback number. How can I create a loopback phone number on the voice GW?

Following is what I copied from that article.

Use the IOS command ‘show call active voice’ to look at the input and output levels for your call. The following is a call to a loopback number that just echos back whatever we send with no attenuationUse the IOS command ‘show call active voice’ to look at the input and output levels for your call. The following is a call to a loopback number that just echos back whatever we send with no attenuation

Gateway#sh call active voice

- snip -

OutSignalLevel=-15

InSignalLevel=-15

ERLLevel=25

- snip -

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content