Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Echo/static on random calls

About one in every 5 calls has a clearly audible (though quieter) voice echo running about 1/2 a second behind. Also, I get bad static sometimes. Running callmanager 3.3, firmware version 7.2

ANY ideas on how to eliminate or at least reduce this effect, just throw them at me.

Thanks,

Chris

4 REPLIES
Green

Re: Echo/static on random calls

* Are phones connected to the same switch or to different device that is in

different IP segment i.e. in IP routing environment over WAN or else ?

* Do you see the echo issue on the phones that are connected in the same switch ?

* Do you hear echo when you talking on the phone handset or speaker or any 3rd party headset connecting to the back port of the phone?

* Does it happen on specific phone or randomly ?

* How often do you see it?

* What about the handset volume on the phone ? e.g. do you hear echo when

you turn it up high? What happens if you turn down the volume?

Also I would need a network topology diagram and direction of call flow.

Gonz

All phones are connected to a cisco catalyst 2950-24 PoE switch, in which the CallManager is also connected to. All phones are on the same VLAN.

Echo occurs on all phones, randomly.

Speaker and handset both provide echo, have no headset to test.

One out of about every 5 or 6 calls has some kind of heavy static or echo

Volume control increases/decreases echo/static volume proportional to main voice volume.

what about call flow? Is this happening to IP-IP calls? Also please clarify is the echo on the IP Phone and is the person hearing themself? Are they hearing the other person or is the echo on the far end phone i.e. over PSTN? Are they hearing themselves or the person on the IP Phone?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about call flow. I believe calls go to our call manager and then are sent to the appropriate device. Echo is only on our IP phones, distant end cannot hear it. Everything is echoed (i.e. distant end voice, local voice, ambient sounds), though not as clearly audible. We don't have this problem when calling intra-office.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content