cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EM AutoLogout Question

sgamer
Level 1
Level 1

We have several users that occasionally work from home so we configured Extension Mobility so they can login at home. In addition, we configured the auto logout feature for a really long period because I don't know what happens when the timer expires. I'd like to shorten it to 8 to 10 hours.

My first question is what happens when a user is on a call and the timer expires? Do they get kicked off the call or does it log them out gracefully after the call?

Next, I saw from another post that the user can be logged out by the administrator. If that's true, how do I go about doing that?

7 Replies 7

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks but the URL you listed is the same document that I looked at before and it doesn't answer my questions. All it states is that the phone will logout when the timer expires.

I would like confirmation on whether it drops calls in progress or does it gracefully wait until the call completes?

The other question is how, as the CCM admin, do I forcably logout an EM session? Another post made it sound like I can easily do that with a few mouse clicks.

Thanks in advance.

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

I'm a little confused. What is the advantage of using Extension Mobility in a home office? Wouldn't it be easier to just assign another phone (for example a Cisco Softphone) with the same DN as the user's office number and then attach that phone to the user's profile. That way when they work from home they will be able to call from the same DN as the office. Then you don't have the problems of logging in/out.

Since you asked. A few advantages are:

1) Unauthorized users could not use the phone when logged out. For example:

a. Little 2yr old Suzie couldn't pick up the phone and start pressing keys (inadvertently connecting to one of my coworkers) and make gurgling sounds thereby prompting my boss to fire me.

b. Little 15yr old Johnny couldn't call his girlfriend that he met on a summer Safari somewhere near Zimbabwe and talk for hours while I’m away working on deleting my CDR's in an effort to keep my job.

2) Who wants their work phone ringing at home and, for that matter, who wants to listen to it? Believe it or not, stay at home mothers and fathers do exist and they shouldn’t have deal with the phone ringing every few minutes. Many of these stay at home types generate little Suzies and Johnnys perpetuating #1 a and b above.

3) It's not my call.

a. Corporate standards dictate IP Phones.

b. IP Softphone is one of our solutions (setup how you suggested) but it isn’t for everyone. Too many of us are forced to stare at computer screens most of the day and, dare I say, we shouldn’t have to talk to them too.

Thanks for the info. I haven't used EM and was curious as to the advantages in your situation. One way around the ringing problem would be the use of a softphone, it won't ring when it isn't launched. That doesn't stop the children from launching it though. Thanks again.

I was just looking through this forum and came across this question. Did you ever get it answered? If not, To logout a EM user from within CM, follow these instructions: As the ccm admin, search by the phone number of the device you wish to logout, from the front page of the device you wish to control, you will see at the bottom of the screen the information relating to EM. You will see the user's name that is logged in along with the logout button. If you didn't need this...Disregard!

Wow..an answer! Getting rare these days. No, I have not noticed the logout button but I will check it out. Since I configured CCM to log them out when logging into another phone, I haven't needed to force anyone yet.

In the spirit of the moment, I'll answer my original question which was what happens when the timer times out? The answer is the user is gracefully logged out once the call in progress completes.

Thanks for checking in and keep the answers coming.. now who says these forums aren't helpful?