cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Email messages that should not be unified are ????

a-fitzgerald
Level 1
Level 1

we just installed 3.1.3 for our network.

for some odd reason, when there is a undeliverable e-mail messages or a return receipt from the exchange system administrator in a users in-box, unity considers this a unified message and it can now be heard in the users voice mail save message section when a person listens to his voice mail via his phone.

please note that we configured our unity server on July 4th, and many of these messages are dated way before that time.

any ideas on how to prevent this.

thanks

7 Replies 7

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you connect Unity to your existing Exhange directory or did you install a new directory/Exchange server for Unity? It sounds like you connected Unity to your existing Exchange enviroment, which gives you Unified Messaging.

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm assuming youre basic question is why receipts are showing up as voice mail messages... There's a short answer and a longer answer... the short answer is that due to filtering limitations in Exchange 5.5 we lumped return, read and nondelivery receipts in with the voice mail message stack. adding additional specifics to the filters to pull out receipts into seperate stacks was, at the time, tough and had a nasty side effect of leaking space in the PRIV.EDB... not good.

You can configure Unity to not present read and return receipts at all (i.e. we don't present them anywhere) by making a registry setting. This is exposed in the Advanced Settings Tool found in the Tools Depot. The setting is called "Exclude Return Receipts from voice mail stack", set it to 1 and you should be good to go.

NDRs, however, will always show up in the voice mail stack for 3.x and earlier.

In Unity 4.0 coming out later this year, all the receipts are in a 4th stack by themselves (voice, fax, email, receipts). Service packs for 55 took care of the filtering issues along the way and we're revamping the subscriber message stack conversation to have a lot more flexibility in how messages are presented and in what order on a per user basis, this is just one of the nice side effects.

we are currently using exchange 2000 that has been upgraded from 55. have you seen these symptoms with exchange 2000?

thanks

a

As I mentioned in my post, this is not a "symptom"... we're supposed to work that way. By default all receipts are listed in the voice mail stack. You can turn off read and delivery reciepts as mentioned but NDRs will always be listed in the voice stack.

This has nothing to do with which Exchange version mailboxes are homed on or upgrade issues or anything of the sort...

blended
Level 1
Level 1

There is a registry setting for this. 3.13? or later has the Tools Depot which has the Advanced Settings tool that has this information......Just set it to 1 and no more receipts......

Exclude return receipts from voice mail stack

Problem: several sites complained that all our receipts show up in the voice mail stack and they have to wade through them to get at their voice mail over the phone. We needed a work around solution for 2.3.6 as described in Track #5353.

Solution: If the new registry setting "Exclude Return Receipts" is present and true, do not include Return Receipts in the voice mail over the phone. If the registry setting is not present or is false, include return receipts in the TUI like we have been. This setting is false (0) by default as of 2.3.6.18. When it is changed to 1, Unity must restart for the new value to take effect.

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Active Voice\ Conversations\ 1.0\

DWORD: Exclude Return Receipts

I just wanted to add to this thread, even though the last post was about a year ago. Unity 4.02 integrated with an existing Exchange 2000 environment--and one of the Exchange admins is getting non-delivery receipts read through Unity. Apparently this admin gets many of these per day. I've set the registry key, and from the previous posts, I understand that this will not get rid of NDRs. Is there any other way to stop these from being read when voicemail is checked?

Thanks.

You can configure all your receipts to be pushed to the bottom of your stack in the ActiveStack feature but they will always be presented to you at some point in your stack - NDRs are considered things you need to know about... you can dictate where they show up in your message presentation, however.