Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Emulator limitations and Dot net Framework 1.1

Hi,

I'm new to programming for Cisco IP Phones and so far have only been able to use the emulator to validate web pages. (Dont have the hardware)

I'm wondering how realistic the emulator is compared to a physical phone?

I'm interested in identifying the phone and according to the doco there are 3 HTTP Headers to identify ModelName, Display and SDK version.

I cant see that the emulator provides this info or have i just missed it?

Also I'm looking to use Dot Net 1.1 and I'm wondering if there is any best practice information for developing on this platform?

1 REPLY

Re: Emulator limitations and Dot net Framework 1.1

As long as you don't need an actual callmanager, the ccm emulator will do fine but you absolutely must connect physical phones.. here's why: different phones act differently, and so do different phone loads. It is therefore a must that you work with all the phone types that your app is going to run on. I know the XML syntax is comparatively simple so you might think "hey, no problem, if the browser can read it, it must be okay", but make no mistake that this isn't so. I usually do my testing with an IP Communicator connected to a real call manager, but even there, once the app is up and running you gotta put it into a real environment to figure out the snags.. it may not even be your app, but if you come across a phone load bug, you either have to count on Cisco to fix it (and then if they do, get your customers to upgrade to that particular load), or you have to work around it.

Just one example here: the appstatus:init command ought to clear the "X missed calls" ... it does so on the IPC, 797x, 7961/41/11. It does not on the 7960/40/05.

As far as the language or framework goes, use whatever you feel most comfortable with. The schema import tool ought to be able to turn the phone schema file into a nice set of classes that you can use so you won't have to write xml by hand. There are no peculiarities with any language and you see many languages used throughout this community, both script languages and compiled ones.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content