Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Error messages

Hello, I just had a unity server lock up, and rebooting seem to fix it. However i was going through the event veiwer and i kept getting these errors.<br><br>1)Message API call failed. Call = GetPublicFolderTable Error = MAPI_E_INVALID_ACCESS_TIME. <br><br>2)Exception occurred and handled in File: h:\CommSvr\Sources\AvWM\AvWMMutex.cpp at Line: 157 - Error: 80040123H Call stack: <br>0x5DC670DD AvWM.dll: <unknown symbol><br>0xFEDCBA98 <unknown module>: : <unknown symbol><br>0x89ABCDEF <unknown module>: : <unknown symbol><br>0x77D51B50 RPCRT4.DLL: NdrVaryingArrayFree + 437 bytes<br><br>what do these mean? and is there anything we can do to prevent this?<br> <br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Error messages

Running this past the DOH and Notifier folks this morning this looks to be an issue known affectionately in house as a “wedge” problem. I’m betting if you check into it one of your other Exchange servers in your site that homes one or more of the subscribers went off line right about this time or before.

The “GetPublicFolderTable” error will pop up when the notifier notices that it can’t connection any longer to an Exchange server in the site. Either the network connection to the server (or servers) broke or the server itself had an issue.

I’m not sure what you mean by “crash” but I’m guessing it didn’t blue screen but rather stopped answering incoming calls (i.e. the ports were ‘burned’). If a subscriber calls in to check messages on a server that is currently off line this can cause a problem. The timeout from the call via MAPI to get the mailbox has a very long time out (i.e. 12 minutes or so) and it ties the port up. Earlier versions of Unity can also get into a state where the other ports will tie up after this happens.

Later versions of Unity (i.e. 2.4.5) handle this somewhat better by using the “traffic cop” model where we keep track of the up/down Exchange servers in the site and wont allow subscribers homed on those servers to try and check their messages while the server is off line. You can still lose one port for a period of time if a subscriber gets in to check messages before the notifier notices the server is off line, but it should only be the one port and not all of them.

That sound feasible for this case? What version are you talking about here?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Thanks for your quick response,
let me give you a little more detail, they are running unity version 2.4 build 2.4.0.127. This is a stand alone exchange 5.5 server,however they do have an exchange 2000 server for their e-mail, but unity was installed in a seperate site, so it should not be trying to contact the other exchange server.(they do not have unified messaging) Also you are correct that i did not get a blue screen, but the unity just stopped answering calls.

Anonymous
N/A

Hmmmm... So all the subscribers are homed on our box? Odd.

The error messages you posted indicate that a MAPI call we made (to get at someone's message store) didn't return within 25 seconds... which is a pretty long time. Normally this indicates a connection to a remote Exchange server someone is homed on is off line or the link to it is severed. The "traffic cop" then kicks in and will not allow subscribers checking messages on that server to log in (they're get the fail safe) until we can tell the server is back on line.

I suppose it's possible if your system got bogged down it might have done this on a call to the local Exchange server, but that'd be pretty unusual. which version of Unity are you running? Early versions of 2.4.0 could do this if you had the option to move deleted items to the deleted items folder and someone deleted a VERY large message or something...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Views
Helpful
Replies