Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

etherchannel and rtp packet reordering in ip phones

Hello,

In a lan with IP Phones i found two catalyst connected accross two gigabit ethernet trunk in pagp mode. Due to its load balancing operation, the RTP packets on the receiving ip phones could sometimes arrive out of sequence.

As far as i know, the reordering of packets should not be a problem for RTP packets because the de-jitter buffers on the receiving VoIP devices will reorder the packets based on the RTP sequence numbers.

Am i right, or should i change the trunk to etherchannel only to force every conversation over each gigabit link for better quality ?

2 REPLIES

Re: etherchannel and rtp packet reordering in ip phones

I beleive you are correct. The reordering of rtp packets should be done automatically. I think the only problem might be if one of the available links was significantly slower than another. But the better queation is, if you found this on a production system, was it working?

Chris Charlebois

Re: etherchannel and rtp packet reordering in ip phones

It is a new installation, both the network and ip phones are new. It is working fine.

This topic was just a query for advice, just to know if the data network could be improved in some manner.

Albert.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content