Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Evesdrop on RTP stream

Hi,

I was wondering does anyone know good tools (for WIndows) to reconstruct captured RTP stream into audible format?

I am trying to assess the level of IPT security in our Enterprise and one thing I would like to show is how easy it is for hackers to capture unencrypted RTP traffic, reconstruct the conversation and play it out.

I think that such tools are available, so I am just looking for the recommended ones.

Thanks,

David

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Evesdrop on RTP stream

Check out the sniffer tool, Ethereal. It has a plugin to convert RTP packets to audio files.

http://www.ethereal.com/

Regards,

Anup

Hi,

Yep, thanks. The only two problems I found were:

1. Can't playout audio in full duplex, meaning I need to save two files and play them separately

2. Can't save g729 codec files. I get error message that code is not supported.

Have you encountered those?

David

Silver

You are right. Ethereal has these limitations with saving RTPs.

Regards,

Anup

Bronze

It depends how paranoid you are. If you are talking about voice RTP traffic within your LAN/WAN I would not even worry about it. If you are worried then I assume most of your LAN traffic is encripted, from emails to internal SQL transactions.

In other words analyze voice RTP security the same way as email traffic. Both are main means of communications and can be stored/saved.

And remember, most of the hacking comes from the insiders.

There are freeware sniffers like ettercap that can be used to perform man in the middle attacks and capture voip traffic. I dont remember the tool available in linux that can decode a voip sniffer dump.i will see if i can find the name for it.

Its not at all hard for a person with enough knowledge to be dangerous to sniff on your network. Again voip security is something that very much depends on your lan network security as well.

HTH

Sankar

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.