cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exch 5.5 to Exch 2000 (Dirt tool possible?)

ptsao
Level 1
Level 1

I will be moving from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2000. Unity is currently tied to this old Exch 5.5 server.

1) Back everything up from Exch 5.5, and restore it onto another Exchange 5.5 server (in another W2K domain). Different server name will be assigned.

2) Perform an In-Place upgrade of this new Exch 5.5 server to E2K.

3) Rebuild Unity on the new domain, setup it up to communicate with the new E2k server.

4) Use the Dirt tool to restore all user accounts and re-establish everything.

My question:

Will i have problems using this Dirt tool to push things back in this scenario? (new domain / new server name / new mail system)

Will i have issues with Dirt we decide to use different aliases on the Exchange server?

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this will work fine with DiRT. Different domains, server names, mail systems etc... will not cause any problems... This is one of the scenarios it was specifically designed and tested to support. Check out the DiRT help and training videos here:

http://www.answermonkey.net/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Yes, if you change the aliases of the users (why/how would you do this given your steps above?). If DiRT can't find the user in the directory by directory ID, RDN or Alias it'll create a new AD account on the fly for the subscriber - you'll have to use the Migrate Subscriber Data to move the subscriber info from that newly created account to the desired AD account. This can be pretty time consuming for a lot of users but it can be done.