cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2000 and Exchange 5.5 Mixed Mode

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,<br><br>I installed Cisco Unity 3.1.3 at a customer of us.<br>The have W2K with Active Directory, Exchange 2000 and Exchange 5.5.<br>All things were set and Configuration setup was done.<br>They all got EX5.5 users and are going to migrate within 1 month. The've got a Active Directory with most different<br>Subsites in it.<br>Example: Active directory domain.com<br><br>Domain.com<br> Netherlands (organizational units)<br> France (ou)<br> Germany (ou)<br> United States (ou)<br> Users (default ad users)<br><br>Within the OU's all users are devided into departments;<br>Netherlands (OU)<br> sales<br> ict<br> finance<br><br>within these ou's all users are separated.<br>Within the configuration setup, i have the possibility to choose a site for users and distribution lists.<br>I chose Netherlands; for importing Exchange 2000 users, there's no problem involved when accessing voicemail by phone.<br><br>I've got a problem when accessing an imported AD/ex5.5 user into unity from Netherlands/Sales.<br>When trying to access voicemail, i can type my password, but then the failsafe greeting is played.<br>Several error messages in the app-event viewer as well.<br><br>When i'll move that user from sales to the Netherlands root, the problem seems to be solved. But then again, the customer can't accept this because it involves lots of users to be moved to the root.<br><br>Any ideas or solutions?<br><br><br>Best Regards,<br><br>J Kroes<br>Cisco Unity Cerified System Engineer<br>TCD ICT Solutions b.v. (NL)<br><br>

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Please post the errors in the event log.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Hi,

I'm at customer site at this time, we ran the Permissions Wizard and checked all permissions. This seems fine.
In the inst311.pdf (Unity 3.x Install guide) we had followed some configuration changes within the EX5.5 and W2k Active Dir 'one-way' or 2-way connector.
When we added a new mailbox in Ex5.5. and repilcated it to AD it is disabled.
We enabled it, changed the paasword and changed Unity services.
This looks fine.
Then we made some regedit changes at the AV/Malex/1.0 settings
Added DislayName and MailboxDn
When we enter the MailboxDn; unity AvCsMgr won't start anymore.
/o=organization/ou=site/cn=Recipients/cn=unity account

Any ideas?

Best Regards,

J Kroes
Cisco Unity Cerified System Engineer
TCD ICT Solutions b.v. (NL)

Edited by jkroes on 5/21/02 08:27 AM.

Not applicable

Hi,

I managed to solve this issue with Cisco TAC.
We used the Unity_servername located in "the netherlands" OU.
This account is moved in AD to another OU underneath NL, this OU will be replicated to EX5.5/Nlsite/Recipients.
after that we stopped Unity, deleted the Unity System Profile in registry (hkey\current_users).
We started Unity to let Unity provide a new Unity System Profile within registry based on the move changed within AD.

We added all permissions in AD to this account (described as in inst311.pdf). After a while this user is replicated to 5.5.
Then we added Service account admin rights to this account on Site-level and Config Container level.

We stopped all Unity services, added this account to the AvGateway/AvCsMgr/AvGaenSvr/AvUMR services. Started all Unity services.
After a while the account is replicated again and Unity is working with a Ms Exchange 2000 and 5.5 mixed mode environment.

>> We didn't make any changes to:AV/Malex/1.0 settings!!!
(/o=organization/ou=site/cn=Recipients/cn=unity account)

Thanks.

Best Regards,

J Kroes
Cisco Unity Cerified System Engineer
TCD ICT Solutions b.v. (NL)

Not applicable

I'd be interested in seeing the event log messages as well, but I have a good guess as to what's going on.

Try getting the Permissions Wizard of the 3.x tools page of AnswerMonkey and running it. This will let you select a root container in each domain and assign rights to the service account (the guy associated with a few of the AVxxx services in the SCM) for importing/adding users. I don't think this is a rights thing, per se (you can import users and it doesn't fail which tells me we have at least modify rights to the CiscoESCBUxxx properties on the mail users in the target container). But we need to do this exercise anyway...

Rights are granted on the container selected and down (i.e. all sub containers inherit these rights). If you have users scattered across many containers in each domain, you need to pick a container high enough to get them all... you can pick the domain root itself if you need to.

I think the problem is related to the monitor assuming a similiar container tree structure in each domain in the abscence of information to the contrary. Using the permissions wizard should populate that information through to the monitor registry settings after assigning the rights necessary. If not, we can chunk it in manually and we'll see about getting the changes into the permissions wizard to do that (I don't have a multidomain environement to test this on here at home so I can't verify for sure).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)