cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2000 Front-end server / Unity

lumina
Level 1
Level 1

Can Unity co-exist with an Exchange 2000 FES on the same hardware?

Thanks

IRA

2 Replies 2

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure what you mean by co-exist or why you would want to do it. It is beneficial to Unity to not have Exchange to Active Directory installed on the same server.

Exchange front end servers are designed to only handle access for internet (POP, IMAP and OWA) mail clients. They are typically placed in the perimeter or DMZ network. MAPI clients, such as Unity, don’t interact with front end servers.

Unity can interoperate in an environment with a front end server but there is no valid reason that an Exchange front end server should be installed on Unity that I can think of. Doing so isn’t supported by Cisco.

Keith

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The enterprise in question does not have a DMZ. Thats not to say that one cannot be created....

The E2K mailbox server is currently hosting OWA2000 (thru SSL). Port 443 is opened on the FW to permit SSL traffic.

Since the plan was to introduce a Unity server into the site I was wondering if I should move the OWA functionality to an Exchange FES running on the Unity server. This was proposed so that the OWA would reside/coexist on the non-mailbox server.

Thanks again

ira