cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

*Exchange 2000 Policy Statement*

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

OK, gang… been getting lots of questions on this here and via email… I’ve included a brief statement from the “folks upstairs” on this issue below. I know… not what everyone was waiting to hear.<br><br>The short story is the support issues for having an Exchange 5.5 based system running in an Exchange 2000 environment proved too complex and error prone to be able to support it cleanly. Further, if a site is already running a native Exchange 2000 environment, we can’t “add” Exchange 5.5 to that setup… Since Ex2K no longer has the concept of Organizations/Sites/Servers, the schema is inconsistent with 5.5 and the two can’t share information at all. The only way to pull this off is to actually install the Ex2K servers INTO the Exchange 5.5 site such that their schemas matched. Existing sites with Ex2K were not thrilled to hear this and that’s understandable.<br><br>Even with the Exchange based limitations accepted, we’ve been testing a bunch of scenarios in our labs and at a few field test sites and the short story is, shoe-horning in an Exchange 5.5 system into an Exchange 2000 environment is very difficult, error prone and messy. The chances for potentially ugly results (i.e. directory corruption across the boards) is just too high for us to be able to recommend and/or support it in the field.<br><br>Short story: Until Unity 2.5 is released with NATIVE support for Exchange 2000, we wont support Unity installed and interacting with Exchange 2000 servers in any way. I don’t have a release date for 2.5 yet. Of course I’ll post it here when it’s known.<br><br>Support will be making no exceptions for this rule, so please don't ask them to do so.<br><br>I know this is going to upset some folks… we wanted this to be workable as much as any of you, but it’s simply not a supportable configuration. <br><br>===============================================<br><br>Marketing Flash - 21 Nov 00 - Exchange 2000 update<br><br>On November 1, we distributed an Exchange 2000 Roadmap that indicated Unity Enterprise with Exchange 5.5 on the Unity server could be installed into an Exchange 2000 environment “shortly after Unity Enterprise 2.45 is shipped.” This involved a MAL patch that required testing by QA. <br><br>Unfortunately, our testing has revealed this to be very, very complex. Although we investigated limiting E2K support to a few, tightly defined scenarios, due to the technical complexity and extremely high level of support required to make Unity Enterprise 2.45 work in an Exchange 2000 environment, we will not be able to support Unity Enterprise in an Exchange 2000 environment until Unity Enterprise 2.5 releases this summer. <br><br>Unity Enterprise 2.5 will hit the ground running with full native support for Exchange 2000, including support for Exchange 2000 on the Unity server.<br><br><br>Jeff Lindborg<br>Unity Product Architect<br>Active Voice<br>jlindborg@activevoice.com<br><A HREF="http://members.home.net/jlindborg" target="_new">http://members.home.net/jlindborg</A>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

Thank you for a thorough and technically detailed answered. Even though, it is not what we all wanted to hear, no one can fault honesty and sound technical advice. This type of response is extemely useful in guiding our customers. Thanks Jeff, your efforts are appreciated!

Not applicable

What is the release date for 2.5? Has anybody implemented Blackberry with exchange and Unity?

Not applicable

No one has done anything with Blackberry that I know of...

I don't have a release date for 2.5 at this point. If something becomes available that I can post, I'll stick it out here right away. Get lots of questions about that...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Not applicable

I have implemented two solutions involving Blackberrys and haven't had any problems. There's nothing extra that you have to do for either installation. Blackberry adds its own plug in and doesn't affect Unity's Custom Attributes

Not applicable

Thank you for the input regarding Blackberry, we have also implemented it with Untiy and have no problems.

Not applicable

Jeff,
If we install Unity on an Exchange 5.5 server in an existing Ex 5.5 organisation and that customer is planning to upgrade their Exchange 5.5 system to Exchange 2000 in the future. How much of the upgrade to Ex 2000 can be completed before Unity 2.5 is released ?
Chris Vain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: