cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

exchange 5.5 and unity

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi<br><br>I have an exchange site between two countries. In the site I have two servers, one in country A and the other in country B. On both of the servers I run Unity 2.4.6. I would like to bring server B down and move all the users and unity to another server in a new site. <br><br>problem: how is the best way to do this<br><br>I was thinking about the following<br><br>1- you logout unity from the mailbox by doing using doh prop test<br>2- you move the mailboxes to the new exchange box<br>3- you also export the users and import them back into the new unity server <br>4- you change the tsp settings on callmanager and you make sure that you have also configured properly the tsp on the new unity box<br><br>Is the a recommended way?<br>What about the license? Can I use the same one as I am actually bringing down 1 server and I am now using a different one?<br><br>Tnx for the feedback in advance<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Anil Verma
Level 5
Level 5

To move mailboxes from one exchange server to another within the same site, look at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/move_mb_exchange.html

Are you planning to move them from one site to another?

Also not sure if you are moving them from one Unity to another. If you are, then just logging the folks out of the mailbox using DPT might not be enough. You will probably have to delete them out of the original Unity that they belonged to.

Not applicable

HI

Tnx for the feedback. What I want to do is to create a new site and a new unity server. The new unity server will take over the one that I am using at the moment. So if I have understood correctly, I need to uninstall unity with the uninstall tool, move the mailboxes to the new exchange server, install unity on top of that and import them into unity.

Correct?

Not applicable

That will work... however remember that you don't need the users homed on the same box as Unity... Unity can handle any user in the site regardless of which Exchange server they're homed on in that site.

If you're still wanting the users homed on the same box with Unity when you're then you're going down the right path.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

If you want to move subscribers from one Unity to another, you have to remove them as subscribers from the first Unity, you can’t just log them out using DPT or BulkLogout and them push them over to the other Unity server.

Unity wont allow you to import new users if they’re already tagged as a subscriber on another box. They’ll be stamped with a SYSTEM ID and a location object assignment that will identify them as “belonging” to another Unity server. You have to remove these properties first.

The easiest way to do what you want, I think, is to uninstall the first Unity server entirely using the Uninstall tool off my web site. This will make sure all your subscribers are “cleaned” and left as normal mail users and then import them as subscribers onto the new Unity box. There is no way to simply “move” users to another Unity box in one step I’m afraid (this is not a normal function).

The Export/Import tool is designed to backup all information about a Unity server and import all of it onto a clean Unity box (i.e. not one that already has users/objects created on it). That won’t work for you here. The CSV import will not currently let you import users that already exist as Exchange users (although this will change with the 3.0 release). You’ll have to import them as clean mail users.

You can save yourself a few steps by making sure all their extension numbers are stored in the Exchange Business Phone field so that the Exchange import tool will prepopulate the extension field for you. Here’s a post on how to do that:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=737&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=column&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=727

You can use the Subscriber Information Dump utility off my website to create a quick CSV file with the alias and extension number of all users to do the above.

There’s no way to save the notification rules, greetings, voice names etc… however. Those will need to be reconfigured for these users.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: