Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Exchange 5.5 moving mailboxes in same site

We are planning to bring a newer server on-line that is installed into our current Exchange 5.5 site. The new server is running Unity 3.x and has exchange installed locally. The server to be replaced is running Unity 2.4.6 and also has exchange 5.5 running locally and the voicemail boxes are physically stored on this server. My question deals with the best method to perform the upgrade? I've read about the EXMerge method however I have very little Exchange experience.<br><br>

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Exchange 5.5 moving mailboxes in same site

So you’re not needing to create new mailboxes here, right? You just want to move the mailboxes off the 2.4.6 Unity server onto another Exchange server in the site and then bring the 3.x system on line, right? If so, this should be easy.

If you can take the 2.4.6 system down for a bit, shutting it down and then using the Exchange 5.5 administrator to move the mail users on our box to another server would be the easiest way. If you want to have Unity up and taking calls you can instead leave the 2.4.6 system running and use the BulkLogout utility (you can get the latest off the AnswerMonkey.net site or from the CCO utilities page) to log Unity out of those mailboxes while they’re being moved. If you’re not sure how to move users in Exchange 5.5 the help file for BulkLogout has instructions for this.

Once you have the mailboxes moved get a backup of the Unity data with the FullDBBackup tool that ships on the 3.x CD (I’d recommend getting the latest off the CCO utilities page or AnswerMonkey.net… several bug fixes got in recently). Once you do the backup you can uninstall the unity 2.4.6 system. The uninstall tool will remove the subscriber properties from those mail user accounts in Exchange.

Then you run the import tool on your new 3.x system and it’ll “bind” back to those same mail accounts and make them subscribers again (3.x uses different/fewer properties in the directory than 2.x did).

Should work pretty slick if everything’s in the same site like you say. You’d only have to use ExMerge if you needed to move messages from boxes in one site to a new set of users in a different Exchange site… shouldn’t be necessary here.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.