cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

exchange between dmz's

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We recently moved our main Exchange server (the one that handles our e-mail and user accounts) to a seperate "DMZ" created with a PIX firewall. Our Unity server and its Exchange server must now connect across the firewall.<br><br>We granted full access across the firewall ("ip any" in PIX lingo) between the Exchange and Unity servers.<br><br>Once the change was complete, voice messages could be retrieved using Outlook, but could not be retrieved using the phone. Users received a "system unavialable" message after entered their password. <br><br>The event log showed a AvCs_MC event ID 100 error every few minutes. A AvConvMsg_MC event ID 10002 error occured whenever a user attempted to retrieve voice messages via the phone.<br><br>The Unity and main Exchange servers seems to "see" each other just fine. The Exchange administrator program on both boxes could browse both server configuration. Also, Unity evidently was transferring the voice message to the main Exchange server becuause the message could be retrieved via Outlook.<br><br>When we moved the main Exchange server back to the same DMZ as the Unity server, all returned to normal.<br><br>Any ideas? <br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>Jack L<br><br>PS - Our phone system is Cisco CallManager 3.1.<br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

Did subscriber to subscriber messages work properly or when you say messages are being delivered are you talking about outside (unidentified) callers leaving messages and having them show up in subscribers' inboxes?

I'm curious because at first blush it sounds to me like it's a MAPI login issue. Unity actually logs into the sending subscriber's mailbox, leaves the message from that mailbox to the recipient. So if you picked up your phone and dialed the number of another subscriber, under normal conditions it would leave a subscriber to subscriber message they could reply to. I'm guessing that's not working here.

Outside callers, on the other hand, are left for the local Unity Messaging system account and the Exchange MTA takes care of shuttling it from the local Exchange server to the target home server. That sounds like it's working which makes sense.

Somehow or another I'm betting that fire wall is preventing us from reaching out across the network to do a MAPI login use the snappy "super user" rights we need to do so. I'd have a hard time speculating why that would be but perhaps that info might help your firewall folks come up with a theory to kick around...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

also are there messages at startup being logged by the notifier? It logs into mailboxes (though with a "lighter" touch) to watch for state changes for lamp updates and notification dialouts and the like. It'd be interesting if that were working but logging in to check messages/send messages was not...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)