Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Exchange crashed.

Hi my exchange 2000 crashed today, so we are rebuilding it from scratch in a new supported hardware with fresh exchange 2000 and active directory. Then we are planning to restore the exchange data. Now if the machine name and the administrative users created exactly the same (with same password), after restarting my unity server will it speak to the new exchange server or am i missing anything. ?

Also previosly this exchange(which crashed) was in hong kong inclusing the unity server. We are rebuilding the server here in san jose (with same name but with different ip address , because of geographical vlan ) will the unity speak to the new exchange here in san jose. Because i have read that unity and exchange should be in local LAN..

Any help ASAP is appreciated

Thanks

Senthil Natarajan

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Exchange crashed.

I guarantee you are going to have major issues having the Unity server in Hong Kong talking to an Exchange server in San Jose. I can’t stress how important it is that you do not proceed with this plan. If you plan to send the Exchange server back to Hong Kong (like FedEx am service) after the rebuild that is one thing but it really can't stay in San Jose.

If you are going to install a brand new Active Directory forest and Exchange 2000 server you will need to join the Unity server to that new domain, setup accounts and permissions and then re-run configuration setup. The legacy name of the domain, domain controllers and Exchange 2000 server don’t need to be maintained. You can pick new names if you like.

Also, what version of Unity is this? 3.1(5) or later I hope. If so, you can do this to reconnect:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/rel_note/cu315rn.htm#2181897

If not, let me know and I will try to round up some instructions.

Hope this helps and good luck...

Keith

Re: Exchange crashed.

Keith,

As of now new exchange server is up and running in san jose. We are running unity 3.1(3), i want to know if the above workaround you provided will work or not. Also you have mentioned to move the exchange to hong kong asap. we can't do that for another 2 weeks as this is the only exchange in their network, and people want to use e-mail atleast for now. Is there any way we can chnage the unity to voicemail only instead of intergartion with exchange ? Is that a complex process ? because if not we can move to that option for this moment and revert back to intergration with exchange once these servers are shipped to hong kong. Can you suggest any workaround temprovarily to make that voice mail work..just voice mail alone.

Thanks

Senthil

Views
Helpful
Replies