cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Database Disk Usage

steesk01
Level 1
Level 1

We have a voice mail server running Unity 3.1.3a that is running out of disk space on the exchange volume. We are running MSM and I've checked the logs, it appears to be cleaning out all read/unread messages older than 30 days on a weekly basis. It is set to operate on all users on the Unity server so new users should automatically be added the next time it runs. The Exchange database (priv1.edb) is currently consuming 11.3 Gb of the 13 Gb on this volume. Why is this so big? What else might be using the space within exchange? There are only 30 users on this system. Also, we've gone into the Exchange System Manager and checked the Exchange store usage by user and there is nothing that comes close to 11 Gb being consumed here.

4 Replies 4

sallwine
Level 1
Level 1

If it has been running for a while with lots of activity you may need to defragment it. Look for instructions on eseutil /d

Steve

Ye-ow! Running eseutil to defrag the mailstore dropped it from 11.2GB down to 256MB.

adam

Steve,

That was it. We went from 11 Gb down to 256 Mb! Were setting up a plan to address our other Unity servers as I'm sure they require the same maintenance. I've found the section in the Unity Admin guide that outlines periodic maintenance and this utility is listed there. We are checking for other maintenance items that we should be doing on a periodic basis. Thanks for your help.

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

This is currently being address by a TAC case that I own. Check the Exchange System Manager to see who the offender is.

adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: