cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Distribution Lists

scmorris
Level 1
Level 1

In Exchange, Unity creates a new recipent container in the address book under "Local Recipients" called "Distribution Lists". It is populated with:

All Subscribers - UNITY1

System Event Messages - UNITY1

Unaddressed Messages - UNITY1

1. Can we rename the recipient container "Distribution Lists" to something else like "Unity Systems Lists"?

2. Can the container "Distribution Lists" be deleted altogether and recreate just the three DLs in "Local Recipients"?

3. Can the three DLs in the "Distribution Lists" be renamed (both display and alias)?

8 Replies 8

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We'll first need to know what version of Unity and what mail store is Unity connected to. If the system were connected to E2K, option one is pretty safe as long as you are at 3.1.3 or higher. With E2K, Unity operates with objects like containers, distribiution lists and subscribers as GUIDs and GUIDs won't change even if the name changes.

It sounds like this system is E55, and unfortunately, Unity doesn't get to operate on E55 directory objects as GUIDs.

Let us know what version of Unity and what mail store Unity is connected to. If it is E55, I think the best thing to do is have TAC assist in making the configuration changes.

I just wanted to clear something up real fast...

Renaming the container that contains the distribution lists in E2K is fine to do (as long as you are at least 3.1.3). Renaming the distribution list names themselves could be problematic. The Notifier references the PDL to send NDRs to by name in the registry (under the Notifier hive). There is a chance that other Unity components also reference the system PDLs by name. If there is a site that wants to change the name of Unity system PDLs, I'd think I'd ping TAC first.

Hi,

I had a TAC case on the similar issue with Exchange 5.5 and the engineer said the following...

You can simply rename the distribution list through the Unity administration pages and that will change the name on the Exchange server.

Of course, once you do this, no messages will be accepted by the old name.

Is it really a good solution?

Thanks,

Marina

I wouldn't do that for the Unaddressed messages DL since this is referenced internally by it's name - this is an important DL since it's where all the messages from outside callers that Unity can't deliver for whatever reason go to... if this link is broken you can risk losing messages which is not a good thing.

You can always hide the DLs in the address book if they're causing a customer stress... I'd strongly reccomend taking that route with the Unaddressed Messages DL.

Thanks, I will hide them

Jeff,

Can you have a look on the case D179247 as the engineer is still sure renaming the DLs through Unity Admin is the right way to proceed.....

"You can change the display name of the DLs through Unity Admin. This should change it in Exchange as well and should not affect the funtionality.

As mentnioned earlier however always make a backup of your system when making changes just in case something goes wrong." ..

thanks in advance,

Marina

The DISPLAY name is fine... you can change that to whatever you want... it's the mail alias that you need to leave alone - this is what's referenced in the registry by the process that cleans out the Unity Messaging System account's box (the guy that forwards messages to the Unaddressed Messages DL as necessary). As long as you just fiddle with the display name, this is not a problem.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: