Level 1
Level 1

Here is the design solution for customer based on customer requirements:

Requirement and solution

1. Keep all the mailbox in their Ex5.5 server

2. Install off-box exchange in the Unity

3. Setup ADC in the Unity

4. Join the echange2000(in Unity) to ex55

I recall last time I had a problem if I did like this unity couldn't impot user from exchange and Jeff told me that's because of those users replicated from excahnge 55 don't have mailbox reference. So will this happen again in this solution? Thanks. actually I had posted same kind of question, I did get some answer already, but I would like to make it more clear. Thanks a lot.

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The installation guide has the details for the permissions you need to configure with the service accounts in a mixed 55/2K environment:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#xtocid53

and a section that includes the steps you need to take when installing a system that has subscribers on Ex55 and Ex2K boxes.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#xtocid64

You’ll want to look these over, I think they’ll answer your questions about how to set this up. Short story is you install ADC connectors on all your 5.5 boxes to push/pull info into AD and you connect Unity to an Exchange 2000 server (which means we’ll be using AD), follow the instructions in the install guide above and you should be OK.

I suddenly pop up a very basic question while I am installing the exchange 2000 management software in unity server. In my case, all the mailbox is in exchange 55, and unity server for sure can point ex55 as a mail storage, so why do I have to install exchange 2000 management software in the unity server, secondly, if I do need install it, why I have to connect ex2000 with55 if unity knows where the mail storage is located. Maybe the ADC connector is used for user directory replication in my case? Thanks in advance.

If you want Unity to use AD you have to point us at an Exchange 2000 server... if we point at Exchange 5.5 we will only use the Exchange 5.5 directory information. Most folks that plan to migrate to Exchange 2000 later deploy with Unity pointed at an Ex2K server now to make the migration later less painfull.

If you don't plan on doing that and you don't have a need to have us using AD then you can point us at Exchange 5.5 and be done with it.

So if I just install exchange 2000 administrative in unity and join exchange 55, then let unity point at ex55, will this work theoratically?

No, you have to point Unity at an Exchange 2000 server if you want to do this. Installing Ex2K admin on the Unity box and then pointint us at 5.5 will not fly.

Please review the installation guide... it covers the mixed 55/2K install scenario in some detail:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/index.htm

I understand your point. But right now they don't have an exchange 2000 server in the enviroment and this unity is installed only exchange administrative software so itself also is not an exchange 2000 server. When I run unity configuration actually it couldn't find exchange 2000 server. And it's true it won't work to point 55.

So what's the best solution to meet the following requirement, please give me advice. Thanks a lot.

1. Existing exchange is purely 55

2. Customer wants only install exchange adminstrative software in unity server, this is for sure.

3. In the end of this year, they will migrate 55 to 2000.

I'm not quite sure what you want to hear... if they don't have Exchange 2000 in their site you have only one option: Install the Exchange 5.5 admin interface on the Unity server and point Unity at an Exchange 5.5 server. There is no other alternative.

When they migrate to 2000 later they will have to reconfigure Unity to point at an Exchange 2000 server at that time.

Is that going to be a lot of pain to migrate in the future if using this solution now with installing exchange admin 55? Or it will be better to suggest customer install exchange 2000 full software in Unity in order to make it easy to upgrade in the future? Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: