cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange server unavailable error

anup.anand
Level 5
Level 5

Unity version 3.1.1 with Exchange 2000. Also has another Exchange 2000 installed on a different box on which all the mailboxes are defined.

Getting a lot of the error shown below from Unity Messaging System

" The voice server detected that one or more Exchange servers are unavailable. Refer to the Windows NT application event log for more information."

Checked application log, found no errors and Unity and Exchange working fine.

Found the below link which says the recommended action is to restart exchange servers. Tried that but still getting the same error. Any other work around ??? Thanks in advance....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a00801189b2.html#xtocid5

7 Replies 7

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

In an Exchange 2000 environment Unity is checking is see if the Store is available using RPC. If that fails for some reason (several possibilities here) Unity will believe that the Exchange servers is down and proceed to UMR mode.

Unity uses the same method used by the Service Control Manager to connect to a remote server. You might try testing that when Unity believes the server is down.

Changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\AvWm\1.00\Diag Level to 1 will output more data in some instances when Exchange goes offline. No reboot is required.

Can you set that and post the event logs the next time it happens?

Thanks,

Keith

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is another excellent Cisco Unity link for diagnosing problems of this type: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008011934a.shtml

Thanks for the information.

We enabled diagnostics and it has been more than 2 hours and no related messages in the application log till now. Still monitoring, will post if any new messages appear.

Anup

The problem got fixed, this is what we tried and that seems to have resolved the problem.

From the Event Notification Utility, deactivated this particular event, restarted AvGeanSvr, again activated the event and restarted the AvGeanSvr and no more false email notifications.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I'm not sure I understand here - the original problem was that you were getting events in the application event log related to Unity indicating Exchange servers were going on/off line. Fiddling with the Event Notification Utility couldn't have any affect on that.

The ENU doesn't add messages to the event log - it simply "watches" the events being logged and will trigger a notificaiton if one you've requested come by - it wouldn't add any of these events you noted into the log itself.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the original problem description?

I am sorry for not making my original problem clear.

The original problem was that we were getting email notifications to the Example Administrator with the error that the Exchange server is unavailable. We didnt get any errors in the Application event log.

Now I understand how ENU works. My guess as to what created this problem is, may be, at some point when Exchange went offline, ENU watched that event and it got stuck in a loop and kept on notifying Example Administrator of that state. Once we deactivated and again activated that event, may be it refreshed and now it is working fine.

Thank you

Anup

ah, ok... that makes sense.

I'm interested since my group is currently redesigning the error notification utility from the ground up and I'm watching for issues in the current implmentation closely - just wanted to make sure I understood this one.

thanks for the follow up.