Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Exchange Store Limits

Exchange actually has three configurable settings addressing user mailbox limits:<br><br>1) Issue Warning<br>2) Prohibit Send<br>3) Prohibit Send and Receive<br><br>We are running Unity 2.4.6 and I have noticed that Unity seems to take 1 first if it is set and misinforms users that their mailbox is full when in fact it is not. From a user standpoint, they can still send and receive emails when they have reached limit 2. Is there any way to have Unity not check limits from 1 and only check the limits set at 2 and 3?<br><br>

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Exchange Store Limits

I believe you can. Under each user in MS Exchange, you can go to their 'Limits' tab to see what each level is set for. You can simply clear the 1st level of warning, 'Issue Warning'. This will essentially have Unity skip this warning. This is done on an individual level.

If you want to make this change on a global level, then you will need to edit the properties of your Private Information Store. This will set the same setting for all mailbox resources. This will be a global setting and you need to change all of your users to reflect using the Information Store Defaults.

On the flip-side, this is a warning and is configurable. If your limit for Issue Warning is set for the same amount as your Prohibit send, then in effect does give an accurate warning that their mailbox is in fact full. The purpose of the 2nd and 3rd warning levels are for those users that ignore the warnings and do not clean out their mailboxes. How you configure this is up to you and your Exchange administrator (you might be both).

Jeff Schlesser
Unified Voice Technical Lead
San Jose TAC

Anonymous
N/A

I think you missed my question. I am familiar with the exchange side of configuring limits. I am just wondering how Unity interprets these three different settings. I have users who are getting messages that their mailbox is full and that they cannot send or receive messages until they clean it up. A lot of these users have plenty of room to spare and I was just wondering how Unity interpreted the three different settings that you can set inside of Exchange.

Cisco Employee

Since Unity works like an Exchange plugin, it will follow the rules laid out by Exchange. When your users hit a certain level, a message will be sent, if so configured. Verify your levels - see if your users have exceeded this amount. Unity does not act any differently than Exchange. Once you reach your limits, then it acts accordingly.

Are your users are getting notifications of the 1st level before they reach it? You might want to contact Microsoft if that is the case. Remember that the message store is now the home of both email and voicemail messages, so the mailboxes might be filling up quicker than expected.

Jeff Schlesser
Unified Voice Technical Lead
San Jose TAC

Anonymous
N/A

It is expected behavior for Unity to issue a warning when the mailbox reaches the Warning state in Exchange.

There are different prompt sets depending on mailbox state:

Level 1: Sorry, your inbox is almost full. Please delete some messages now.

Level 2: Sorry, your inbox is full. You cannot send new messages. Please delete some messages now.

Level 3: Sorry, your inbox is full. You cannot send or receive new messages. Please delete some messages now.

Does this correspond to your testing? If not, double check your exchange limits because it works exactly this way when I test it on my 2.4.6.102 machine in the lab. If there is a difference in a later build it may need to be reported.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content