Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Exiting Voicemail

when you are listening to voice mail is there a way to exit completely out of voice mail. I know that you can press * to get out of your account but then it puts you into the main mailbox but I can not get the system to just hang up. So I guess what I want is there a way to exit by just pressing a key. <br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Exiting Voicemail

There’s no built in sequence of keys that will blow you all the way out like Repartee can do with the “****” concept.

When we designed the conversation for Unity the directive was to make it VMUIF compliant. Those of you not familiar with VMUIF, it’s basically a series of “rules” your conversation should adhere to such that it provides a consistent experience for users across different voice mail systems. A good idea on paper but in practice it never really works out that way. There’s a lot of “flexibility” on the interpretation of key uses in various conversation scenarios… however use of * and # are reasonably straight forward for the most part.

* in VMUIF speak needs to back up a menu level and is also used for initiating subscriber sign in.
# is used for terminating or advancing to the next conversation segment (move forward)

As such we couldn’t have **** or #### in any part of the conversation to mean “bail out” like we could in Repartee. Using a dedicated string of digits could possibly conflict with someone’s numbering plan.

The best way to accomplish this is to create a call handler with a series of digits you decide means “bail out”. This could be “99” or whatever. Just make the Alternate greeting active, choose the “blank” radio button for it and set the after greeting action to “hang up”. If a user hits “99” it’ll hang up on them just about immediately. Unfortunately when you’re in your mailbox, you wont be able to simply hit “99”… you have to get out first by hitting * as you mentioned above.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Views
Helpful
Replies