Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Extending the C: Partition on the Unity Server

I am working with a customer on a Unity 3.13 to Unity 4.0 upgrade. Prior to doing the upgrade, I am doing a little cleanup on the Unity system. The engineer who originally installed Unity on the server installed Unity and SQL on the C: partition. The C: partition is a 4GB partition that is quickly running out of space. The D: partition is a 32GB partition with nothing on it. My question is: Is there a way to extend the C: partition to the full 36GB? Will the dynamic disks feature in Windows 2K do this for me? Are there any caveats to doing this? Will this mess up Unity or SQL? If the drive extension does not work is there another way?

Background Info:

Platform MCS7825

This is a Unified Messaging implementation with an Exchange 5.5 Message Store residing off box.

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Extending the C: Partition on the Unity Server

There are 3rd party tools like Server Magic from PowerQuest. But make sure you have a good backup before you use any drive repartitioning utilities. You could probally relocate the page file to the larger drive and free up some space that way. You could also move the SQL\MSDE logs to the d: drive and free some space there.

Cisco Employee

Extending your boot partition isn't going to fly for you very easily - I'd move the SQL transaction logs and DBs to the D drive and then move Unity logging and the UMR directories to the D drive - that should keep the size of your C drive usage static.

Moving the logs and UMR directory is easy - you can do both via the Advanced Settings Tool and a Unity restart.

Moving the SQL database and transaction logs is a little less easy - you have to get personal with the OSQL command line or the like. The steps for this are covered in the install guide in chapter 8 which you can get here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_book09186a00801507d5.html

Community Member

Jeff,

Does Unity 3.13 support moving the SQL transaction logs and DBs as well as the Unity logging and UMR directories to the D drive, or is this only supported in 4.x?

Thanks.

Cisco Employee

Moving the SQL logs/DB is not Unity version dependant so no problem there.

The logs were movable back to Unity 2.x, so no problem there either.

The UMR directory has been movable since 3.1(1) I believe - if you open the Advanced Settings Tool on your system and the "change default location for UnityMTA directory" is visible, you're good to go - the Advanced Settings Tool dynamically hides/shows settings such that only those appropriate to the locally installed version are shown.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content