Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Extension is already in use.

I have a Unified Messaging subscriber that has lost their extension in Unity. The Extension field is now blank and when I attempt to enter one I receive the following error:

"Extension XXXXX is already is use by Mail User: Username. Please enter a unique extension."

I have replaced the actual extension with XXXXX and the person’s username with username in the above error message. The username provided matches exactly the subscriber that has a blank extension. So essentially it is telling me that I cannot assign that subscriber an extension because they already own it. That user is having problems when they try and forward their phone to voice mail.

I have run DBWalker and it does not report any errors with my database. Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this user and assign them the correct extension. I could probably just delete the subscriber and re-import, but I do not want to inconvenience the user by making them re-setup their mailbox.

Configuration Specifics

Unity 4.0(2)

Exchange 2000

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Extension is already in use.

I can't give you firm assurances that it'll work - if the link between the subscriber and their primary call handler is completely broken, the subscriber delete may fail or at least fail to remove the handler itself.

I suspect the delete will likely work and it'll be fine but if not, we'll have to go in and remove the remaining "residual" subscriber information from a few of the tables by hand. That hasn't happened often in the field and certainly not with any recent versions under normal use so I kinda doubt that'll be necessary.

11 REPLIES
Gold

Since we store the extension in several tables in SQL this can happen from time to time. In 4.0(3) the extension will only be stored in a single table so the odds of this happening again moving forward are pretty low.

For now you can fix it in Doh Prop Test. It's in the \commserver\techtools directory. The password is (100-Month)(Month+Day). So today it would be 9111. From DPT click the CallHandlers collection to the left, then find the user in the middle and then correct their AVP_DTMF_ACCESS_ID to the right.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Cisco Employee

if it's showing _blank_ for the extension in the SA I don't think just hammering in the extension in DPT is the right approach here... I'd definitely take a look at some of the other tables since there may be a duplicate entry or a cross linked entry here.

Cisco Employee

Which version of dbWalker are you using? If you haven't already I'd head out to CiscoUnityTools.com and get the latest version - we updated some of the checks for DTMFAccessIDs (extensions) across tables that may pick up the problem here.

My first guess is the primary call handler for the subscriber in question is pointing back to the wrong subscriber or vice versa (every subscriber has a hidden call handler associated with them that contains all their transfer rules, extensions, greetings etc...). Either that or there are two instances of the same subscriber record hanging around (possibly due to an import of a user that went bad?).

Other than grabbing the latest dbWalker you can explor the database with CUDLE (you'll find it under the Diagnostic Tools section of the Tools Depot on your desktop). With the data link explorer you can find the subscriber in question, see if there's another guy with the same alias somehow - if not, hold your mouse over the PrimaryCallHandler column entry for that guy and it'll give you a link to the guy's primary call handler - jump to it and check out the RecipientObjectID and AdministratorObjectID values on that call handler - they should point back to the subscriber you were just on. If any of those links are bad or point to the wrong rows, that's what's tripping you up.

It could also be a duplicate reference in the DTMFAccessID table - you can look there with CUDLE and see if there's more than one entry for the extension in the table - if not, make jump to the owner of the extension there using the same trick - hold the mouse over the ParentObjectID column for that row and it'll show you the owner - if you right click you can jump right to it.

The problem will be somewhere around those three tables (subscriber, callhandler and DTMFAccessID).

I have downloaded and run DBWalker 3.0.64. It does detect an error with the subscriber, but does not fix it. The error returned from the DBWalker utility is as follows:

“1194:(error) Primary call handler does not have an extension defined. All primary call handlers (subscribers) need an extension.”

I also checked out the subscriber in CUDLE and the AdministratorObjectID and RecipientObjectID match the value of SubscriberObjectID, However when I am viewing the Call Handler in the CallHandler table and I right click on the AdministratorObjectID it only gives me the option to copy and not the option to jump to the subscriber. The other users give me that option and so it appears that there is some break down in the association between the Call Handler and the subscriber.

There are not duplicate entries in the DTMFAccessID Table.

Given this information how is the best way to correct the problem?

Cisco Employee

That actually tells me a lot.

dbWalker doesn't fix it for you automatically because it really can't - in fact I may need to look around in the system to see about the best way to rescue the data here. My guess is the ObjectID that the primary call handler references is a subscriber template, not a subscriber - it can't resolve the link in CUDLE for you because it's expecting it to be a subscriber in that case. But I can't know that without poking around just a bit.

It may be possible to simply point the call handler back to the subscriber in question and you're done - it may also be necessary to fiddle in the DTMFaccessID table to point the extension entry properly or remove it and recreate it.

I can't really tell you the steps to fix this here since it may do more harm than good if you're not careful. If you have remote access into your box via WTS, pint me at lindborg@cisco.com and I'll jump in there and take a quick look.

Is it reasonably likely that the following course of action would fix the problem?

1. Remove the current subscriber using the web utility.

2. Run DBWalker to remove any left over information.

3. Re-import the user using the web utility.

While I did not want to inconvenience the user by removing the subscriber, if it is going to require mucking around in the database to solve the problem then I am inclined to just make the user re-setup their account instead.

If this course of action will not work and the only option is to directly modify the database then that is the direction I will have to take.

Cisco Employee

I can't give you firm assurances that it'll work - if the link between the subscriber and their primary call handler is completely broken, the subscriber delete may fail or at least fail to remove the handler itself.

I suspect the delete will likely work and it'll be fine but if not, we'll have to go in and remove the remaining "residual" subscriber information from a few of the tables by hand. That hasn't happened often in the field and certainly not with any recent versions under normal use so I kinda doubt that'll be necessary.

Removing and re-adding the subscriber fixed the problem.

This problem occurred again with a different subscriber. I contacted TAC and they indicated that it is a known bug (BugID CSCdx13954). It is supposed to be fixed in Unity 4.0.3. I plan to upgrade and see if that solves the problem. In the meantime removing a re-importing the subscriber appears to solve the problem.

Instead of recreating the user, if you enter a bogus extension in the primary extension feild, then save it, then enter their proper extension and save. You will be fine.

Gold

Just to point out here that the fix was to store the DTFM ID in a single place in the UnityDb. Prior to 4.0(3) we had it in a few different places but starting with 4.0(3) it’s in just one. This appears to have resolved a race condition with our store procedure calls that caused it to disappear on occasion.

Thanks,

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content