cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility

joe_mcclung
Level 1
Level 1

I have a clustered environment with a publisher and 4 subscribers. I would like to enable Extension Mobility and would like to know which devices I should activate the service on. Thank you.

13 Replies 13

dr3297
Level 1
Level 1

You should activate the service on any phones that you would like people to login on. So if someone with an extension mobility profile would like to login on phone A, B, C, D. but no one would login on phone E. then activate extension mobility on phones A through D and do not activate it on phone E.

Also you should subscribe the service to all the device profiles that people login with.

this used to cause an issue when people would login in but then couldn't logout. this has been fixed in latter versions. but used to give some people headaches.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough on my question. I actually want to know what servers I should activate the service on. I know the Publisher needs to have it but which and how many Subscribers should have it activated on them? If the Publisher fails I don't want the service to be unavailable. Thanks...

Extension mobility works on only the publisher because it needs read/write access to the sql db. So, enable it only on the publisher.

Joe, we have a similar cluster and have EM working on a subscriber.

You *can* run it on a Subscriber and point your URL to it, however the Subscriber will just forward the requests to the Publisher. Open Perfmon and add the counter "Cisco Extension Mobility -> Requests Handled", and you will see this for yourself.

It's also my understanding that if the Publisher is down, the requests will fail. But I have yet to test this.

how did your test go ??

Does the EM worked when the pub went down ??

I can't remember the exact error message, but it did not work.

dford333
Level 1
Level 1

you need to have the service running on all CMs if you want to provide redundancy in case.

You only need to subscribe the EM on the phones that need it.

Understanding Extension Mobility and Phone Logins

The Extension Mobility feature allows users to configure any Cisco IP Phone 7940 or Cisco IP Phone 7940 IP phone as their own, on a temporary basis, by logging in to that phone. Once a user logs in, the phone adopts the user individual user default device profile information, including line numbers, speed dials, services links, and other user-specific properties of a phone. For example, when user A occupies a desk and logs in to the phone, her directory number(s), services, speed dials, and other properties appear on that phone; but when user B uses the same desk at a different time, his information appears. The Extension Mobility feature dynamically configures a phone according to the current user.

Note If a login device profile is configured for a Cisco IP Phone 7960 but the user logs into a Cisco IP Phone 7940, the phone takes on the attributes and capabilities of the Cisco IP Phone 7940. This is because there are fewer lines on a Cisco IP Phone 7940 than a Cisco IP Phone 7960. The Cisco IP Phone 7960 capabilities return when the user logs into a Cisco IP Phone 7960.

Previously, only administrators could change phone settings only through Cisco CallManager Administration. The Extension Mobility feature allows users to change phone settings themselves without accessing Cisco CallManager Administration. Instead, when users authenticate themselves at the phone, a login service performs the administrative updates.

The programmable login service enforces a variety of uses, including duration limits on phone configuration (persistence) and authorization to log in to a particular phone. A Cisco IP phone XML service provides the user interface to the login service provided in this release. Refer to the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide for more information.

Supported Phones and Features

This release provides Extension Mobility feature availability on Cisco IP phones that support Cisco IP phone XML services; currently, only the Cisco IP Phone 7940 and the Cisco IP Phone 7960 offer this feature.

Managing Device Profiles

A device profile comprises the set of attributes (services and/or features) associated with a particular device. Device profiles include name, description, phone template, add-on modules, directory numbers, subscribed services, and speed-dial information. Two kinds of device profiles exist: autogenerated and user. You can assign the user device profile to a user, so that, when the user logs into a device, the user device profile you have assigned to that user loads onto that device as a default login device profile. Once a user device profile is loaded onto the phone, the phone picks up the attributes of that device profile.

You can also assign a user device profile to be the default logout device profile for a particular device. When a user logs out of a phone, for instance, the logout device profile loads onto the phone, giving that phone the attributes of the logout device profile. You can create, modify, or delete the user device profile in the Cisco CallManager Administration web pages.

> you need to have the service running on all CMs if you want to provide redundancy in case.

Can you provide more information on this statement specifically?

Go to Application -> Serviceability

Tools -> Control Center

Make sure the Extension Mobility service is activated and running.

Right, but if the publisher's database is unaccessable, the database cannot be modified and extension mobility will fail to operate. So, in my opinion it doesn't make much sense to run this service on subscribers.

"In the case of an unavailable publisher, you cannot update subscriber copies of the database. Therefore, when the publisher is unavailable, phone updates cannot occur, call forwarding cannot be modified, message-waiting state information will be lost, and Cisco CallManager Extension Mobility stops functioning. "

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803eda7f.html#wp1021999

Hi,

Don't forget to subscribe service on phone AND check the box "ENABLE EM" on the device you want to connect

Please Rate the post

Remy

Running it on the subs, is only for the scenario where only the EM service is unavailable on the pub. Not necessarily if only the entire box or location is down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: