Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility

harmander_singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have configured extension mobility on CCM 4.1(3). Let me give u my setup:

I have got two phones with extensions 490 and 491. I have configured extension 491 under the device profile menu. Now if I go to phone with extension 490 and log in I am getting all my settings configured under the device profile.

The problem is when I try to make a call to extension 491 from a third phone, both the phone rings. The original phone which has extension 491 assigned to it as well as the second phone which I am currently logged on. FYI I am not currently logged under the original phone (with extn. 491) and CCM is configured for autolog out.

My understanding of extension mobility is once I logged into a different phone I will logged off from the original phone and when anyone try to call me only the phone which i am currently logged on will ring.

Please guys need your help on this.

9 Replies 9

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Singh,

"I have got two phones with extensions 490 and 491. I have configured extension 491 under the device profile menu. Now if I go to phone with extension 490 and log in I am getting all my settings configured under the device profile"

Please correct me if I misunderstood, based on your description, I assume you have now 2 [491] numbers.

The first one which was the original extension configured and the second one which was the Device Profile configured for EM (You used 490 to login and get 491 Profile). That becomes a shared line (if using same partition), thats why both phones are ringing.

So if you look for 491 under CCM Admin it will appear twice. And 490 should appear only in Route Plan as an ADP.

If you are already logged in with an specific user, you should get a Login Unsuccesful error

and an alert indicating that user is already logged in somewhere else (If Service Parameter Multiple Login Behavior has default value). The original 491 is not a Device Profile for EM its simply an extension.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/extension-mobility.html

HTH

Gonz

Fady Hwalla
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Go to : Service -> Service Parameters -> Cisco Extension Mobility

and Modify: Multiple Login Behavior

make it: Auto Logout in case u want it to logout if someone logs in.

Cheers

bhattacharya.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Harmander,

The way you described your issue, was a big issue in itself.

According to what you have explained, you originally had 2 phones with DN 490 and 491.

You configured a Device Profile in CM and assigned it the DN 491. Then you logged into EM on the phone with DN 490 and the phone got the DN 491 (according to what you had set in the device profile).

After that you tried calling 491 from another phone and it rang both phones with DN 491 (keep in mind that you originally had a phone with DN 491 and you logged into EM on a phone which also got the DN 491, giving 2 phones the same DN)

This is working as it should - 491 is the DN on 2 phones(shared lines).

What you mentioned at last about the login behaviour of EM is absolutely correct, provided we have it properly set up in the Service Parameter for Extension Mobility Logout Service in CCM Admin page.

If you chose Auto Logout, then if someone logs into EM on 2 phones, one of then will be logged out automatically.

Hope this helps - if not, let me know.

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for looking into this matter.

Guys I am still confused and let me clear somethings up by way of an example.

There is a phone in Sydney office with extension 491 assigned to it and I am not logged onto that phone

There is a phone in Melbourne office with extension 490 assigned to it. Currently I am logged on this phone and I got my extension 491 as configured under device profile.

Now if some from Brisbane office called me on extension 491 both of the phone rings (i.e in Melbourne office as well as in Sydney office). My understanding is only Melbourne office phone should ring as I am only logged on to that phone and not on the phone based in Sydney office. Have I configured something wrong ? I want only Melbourne office phone to ring as I am currrently logged onto that phone only. Any ideas how to make it work.

Auto logout is already configured on the CCM and it is working. If I logged on to another phone in Melbourne office, CCM will logged me out from the first phone in Melbourne office.

Once again thanks for your help guys.

Cheers

The design you set up is not what it is meant to do. When you assign 491 on the phone device, that phone's DN will always ring on an incoming call to 491.

What you might want to do is to use extension mobility on both phones.

If you want your Sydney office's phone NOT to ring, one option is to assign that device another DN and when you are in the Sydney office, you must log into the phone to get 491. When you travel to Melbourne, log into that phone as well to get your 491 DN and set it up in CCM to automatically log out your phone in Sydney. That way whenever someone dials 491, you will only get ring wherever you log into a phone.

g'luck!

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Mate on Nortel ip phones you can set up extension mobility in a way that the user cannot make a call unless he is logged in. If the user is not logged in no extension is assigned to the phone. Is there anything I can do with CCM. Assigning different DN to the phones will at some stage be very confusing.

Tks

Hi Harmander,

I think that was a very big defect in the way Nortel had their phones set up - unless someone logs in, they cannot call - bad design.

With Cisco IPT, when you add a phone, you assign it a DN which someone can call if it is in the Null Partition or if it's partition is there in the calling party's Calling Search Space.

In your scenario, if you login to the phone, you get the DN 491 - but what about the other phone which still has the DN of 491? When someone dials 491, it should ring both the phones - right?

It is working as designed.

Thanks guys for your help. Wish you everyone happy new year. Have a nice long weekend.

Cheers.

Hey - wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year too.