Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

External Phone Mask vs. Calling Party Transformation Mask

What is the difference between these two features? They seem to do exactly the same thing. Even stranger, if you use a Calling Party Transformation Mask it will override any setting you have in the External Phone Mask field.

Why would you use one instead of the other? The only thing I can think of is that the Calling Party Transformation Mask doesn't change the number that appears in the top line of the phone display, while the External Phone Mask does. Is that true?

I don't get it. Someone please enlighten me. :-)

Thanks!

John

9 REPLIES
Silver

Re: External Phone Mask vs. Calling Party Transformation Mask

An advantage of using Calling Party Transformation Mask is that it allows you to change the Calling party number for a bunch of phones easily. Lets say you have a 100 phones that you need to change the 10 digit number. Rather than going to each phone and change the setting individually, you can do it at the Calling Party tranformation mask.

Another advantage is that if you want to change Calling Party number that gets displayed to external users, you can modify that easily with the transformation masks. It also gives you the flexibility of sending different calling party numbers to differnt destinations. For example, for local calls you can dislay the 7 digit number; for long distance you can display 10 digits and for international you can display country code +10 digits.

Regards,

Anup

Ext ph mask set under each phone show up on the header bar on each ip phone. If each phone has ext mask set, then you may simply check the ext ph mask option and automatically each phone's ext mask will be send out to the gateway specified in the route pattern.

A practical application of using calling party transform mask is if you ahve two or three ranges of dids (9725423XXX, 4XXX, 5XXX). In this case you may create multiple route patterns (9.@ for outbound dialing) for each range of DIDs (each in different partition) and set the calling party transform mask instead of checking ext ph mask. This also avoids putting a mask individually on each phone.

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

In our case, in one building we have multiple DID ranges with three exchanges. In some cases we want the persons actual DID to show up as the calling line ID; other times, we just want the main number to our building. The problem with that is that I don't want the building's main number to show up on the header bar for those phones. It's very annoying to me that the ext phone mask alters the header bar.

It sounds like I'm going to have to have multiple copies of our dialing plan, probably two per exchange. That would allow me the most flexibility but it sure sounds like a lot of work just to get something fairly simple accomplished.

Thanks!

John

For people who need their actual DID to show up as CLID, you can set their EX. ph mask on the line and then setup one set of route pattern (9.@ in partition P1) for outbound access with "Use ext ph number mask checked".

For people who need only their main numbers, you can set up their EX ph mask on the line as well, but setup another set of route pattern (9.@ in partition P2) and use Calling party transformation mask set to the main line number.

The key is that both sets of users have access to a different partition (P1 and P2) for outbound access.

Hope that makes sense!

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

If I'm going to use a transformation mask to change the calling line ID to our main number, why even bother to set the external phone mask in the first place? It seems like it would never be used in that case. I guess if it provides no benefit, I could just leave it blank.

Thanks!

John

External Phone mask does not affect internal calls and there are many situations when you may want internal masking to send digits to voice mail, ICD systems, etc.

Also, Sankar keeps reffering to 9.@

Avoid that in your calling plan as much as possible, it adds a whole mess load of stuff to the route plan report and can cause lots of hassels later on when troubleshooting a call routing issue. target your dial plan as much as possible.

I have seen a few posts on configuration recently. If you have not engaged a partner for the deployment, then consider engaging one for the planning. It will save you a lot of time while troubleshooting later on. You sound quite capable of getting this off the ground on your own, but maybe you should bring in a guy for the afternoon to bounce off a bunch of "best practices" questions. That might be a good use of consulting time.

We do have a partner who will be doing the installation and we've been working closely with Cisco on this, as well. I'm just trying to understand this system as well as I possibly can. There are lots of configuration knobs in CallManager that sound a lot like other knobs. I'm sure it will pay off in the long run to know the difference. :-)

Definitely use specific route patterns if you can which really gives you a lot of flexibility in routing and simplicity in troubleshooting. I was referring to 9.@ only for simplicity in explanation. Thats all. A typical route plan may look like

9.011! - for international

9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX for local 10 digit

9.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX for LD

9.911 and 9.11 for emergency

9.411 and 4.11 for service

HTH

Sankar.

And knowing more is a huge benefit. We push very hard for any clients putting in IP Tel to designate an admin very early on and have that person attend a week class prior to any implementation stage. Just so we know that someone is learning and clear on what all the terms...or knobs..are. :)

There are lots and lots of knobs, but it's like a mixing board, they all do something just a shade different than each other.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content