cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

External users complaining of low volume.

azam_anwar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We have a 2600 [v12.2(8)T4] with an NM-HDV-E1-30, running ISDN30 with 8 channels in use. We are having problems whereby users who are external to our company are complaining that we are sounding quite faint, regardless of who initiates the call. Is there any way to increase the volume that can be transmitted to external users?

The local telco (BT) say that they cannot help.

The output attenuation value is at it's default 0 (under voice-port).

Our office is connected to our HQ (where the ccm resides) via frame pvc.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to see if there is some common destination to the low volume calls (i.e. long distance calls or something) by making some test calls. It may be possible to do 'outbound attenuation' (with a negative value; which in effect boosts the signal), but this can have bad consequences since you may also increase echo and noise. If you choose to try it, make sure to use small increments and re-test. The best option would be if one could break out a channel of the E1 and listen to it to see what it sounds like coming out of the gateway or to send a tone and measure it along the way to get an indication of what the loss is at various stages.

Unfortunately there's no apparent common destination, which makes it trickier. I'll try adjusting the output attenuation figures, and see how it goes.

Thanks for your feedback.

droessler
Level 1
Level 1

We are seeing a similar issue but ours is effecting incomming audio. Would increasing the output gain help raise the audio from incomming calls.

I mean input gain

I tried not only adjusting the input gain value (which didn't help) but also the output attenuation setting, as suggested by a cisco engineer on this forum. He did state however, that this could have an adverse effect on voice quality, which is exactly what it did.

I also upgraded the phone load to 403, which was only released a couple of days ago i think. This apparently fixes some known voice related issues, but not the audio issues in our case.

I'm now about to open a TAC case.

gofri
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with the external ring tone volume.

If you will be the first to find a solution can you send me a e-mail

galo@bezeq-call.co.il

thanks.

Apparently there is a bug (CSCdu45419) related to output attenuation settings not taking effect with 12.2T release. I loaded 12.2(6a) and set the output attenuation to -6 (the max), and all worked fine. The external callers were no longer complaining of low volume.