Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Facebook Forum - Preparing Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.x to Support Cisco Jabber for Android/iPhone

Preparing Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.x to Support Cisco Jabber for Android/iPhone

August15th, 2012Facebook_Forum_Template_067.png

Cisco Jabber for Android/iPhone delivers enterprise telephony calling features and corporate directory lookup directly from Android/iPhone devices. Cisco Jabber is client software for your smartphone that runs in the background, so you can simultaneously access other applications on your Android/iPhone device. You can place and receive business calls through your Cisco IP telephony system whether using your corporate Wi-Fi network, other Wi-Fi networks, or a mobile data network in order to avoid costly cellular minutes and international toll charges.

Rajamani Nallakaruppan is a support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in India. He is an expert on Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unified Communication Applications, Voice Gateways, and Cisco TelePresence. He holds a bachelor of engineering degree in electronics and communication and is holds CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCVP, and MCP certification.

What is Facebook Forum?

Facebook forums are online conversations, held at a ore-arranged time on our Facebook page. It gives you an opportunity to interact with a live Cisco expert and get more information about a particular technology, service or product.

How do I participate?

On the day of the event, go to our Facebook pagehttp://www.facebook.com/CiscoSupportCommunity.

To RSVP go here: http://www.facebook.com/events/430763010298157/

Like us on Facebook  

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Facebook Forum - Preparing Cisco Unified Communications Mana

Here's a condensed summay of this forum that took place on Facebook.

What is Jabber all about. How to install it and basic configuration steps?

Cisco has Jabber clients for devices such as iPhones/Android/BlackBerry/Windows/MAC for IM/Presence/Call Control features. Our topic today for discussion is Cisco Jabber on Android/iPhone, you can find more info on them from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/iPhone/8.6/b_jabber_iphone_release_notes.html#topic_AE840D93138348F4B23A01390DF5CF73 and http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Android/8_6/Cisco_Jabber_Android_8_6_4_RN.html

Can you get the corporate directory on unified communications manager on a jabber phone without presence. ie access the directory that is present on hardware phones?

Yes you can access Corporate Directory without the Presence Server on the iPhone/Android like you do on your Cisco IP Phones as this is just a service from the CUCM

Would I put the directory server ip as the same it is on a deskphone under directories url?

Yes just configure the IP Address of the CUCM during the Corporate Directory setup when you initialize the Cisco Jabber App

I tried that but did not work. I am wondering if there is a service i need to activate on the ucm for the user?

Cisco Jabber iPhone/Android needs CUCM integrated to LDAP to access the Corporate Directory

Will exchange unity voicemail work with jabber or does it have to be imap?

Cisco Jabber on iPhone supports Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.x, 8.0, or 8.5 and Cisco Unity Express 8.6 for Voicemail and Cisco jabber on Android supports Cisco Unity Connection Version 7.1, 8.0, 8.5, and 8.6.1 for Voicemail

So would the voicemail username on jabber be the voicemail alias?

Yes, the Voicemail username on the Jabber would be the Username what you use for PCA

Do i enter the ldap port under directory account port to access directory?

Yes you can. Either 3268 GC port or 389 port

What is Secure Connect feature in Cisco Jabber for Android?

Secure connect is a feature that allows you to securely connect to your corporate network from a remote location using another Wi-Fi or mobile data network

Why does jabber for windows dial LDAP telephone number entry instead of user associated to a device ?

The forum is limited to Cisco Jabber for iPhone/Android but you can find more info about Cisco Jabber for Windows in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_00.html

My question is that i have cucm 8.6 with public ip and m using the jabber in Iphone, Iphone are registered and i can call from my IPC to Iphone easily but I am able to call from Iphone to any phone and am not using the any VPN.

Yes, once the Jabber iPhone gets registered to CUCM, you should be able to call a phone but this depends upon the Calling patterns configured in your CUCM.

Can you please let me know which phones you are not able to call from iPhone? iPhone is not able to call on another Iphone or Ip communicator?

You should be able to call other phones from the Cisco Jabber iPhone. But if you are still not able to , please check the CSS assigned to the Cisco Jabber DN

Does jabber for android/iphone supports IM/and meeting alerts?

Yes, we have a app called as Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone which can do the IM/Meeting alerts. And we have Cisco WebEx Meeting App on iPhone/Android for the WebEx Meetings

I want to know that if i used the public ip on cucm then do I need the VPN or not?

If the Cisco Jabber is able to communicate to the CUCM over the Internet then you should be good. The deployments with VPN are usually because we would want to have the CUCM in the Private network and not accessible over the Internet and the other advantage is Secured

How does Cisco Jabber for Android connect to my corporate network when I’m on or off site?

While you’re on site, Cisco Jabber for Android connects to your corporate Wi-Fi network directly. While you’re off site, Cisco Jabber for Android can use secure connect to automatically connect to your corporate network using any other Wi-Fi or mobile data network. To use secure connect, your administrator must enable this feature for you, and then you must set up this feature.

After upgrading to iOS 5. What do I need to do to ensure that Cisco Jabber functions properly?"

iOS 5 changes the way users see incoming calls and notifications in Cisco Jabber. Enable notifications with the following steps:

1.          Tap the native iOS device Settings icon.

2.          Tap Notifications.

3.          Tap Cisco Jabber.

4.          Tap Alerts.

5.          To see a count of missed calls or voice messages on the Cisco Jabber icon, slide the toggle beside Badge App Icon to “ON.”

6.          To hear Cisco Jabber ring while in the background, slide the toggle beside Sounds to “ON.”

7.          To hear Cisco Jabber ring or to see alerts while the phone is locked, slide the toggle beside View in Lock Screen to “ON.”

Can you share any configuration guide of how to configure the jabber in cucm ?

The Admin guide for Cisco Jabber iPhone http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/iPhone/8.6/JABI_BK_J29330BB_00_jabber-for-iphone-admin-guide.html and for Cisco Jabber Android http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Android/8_6/JABA_BK_A940B90D_00_jabber-for-android-admin-guide.html

How do i collect Problem Report from my Cisco Jabber on iPhone?"

To collect the Problem Report for the Cisco Jabber iPhone

1.          Tap Settings > Troubleshooting > Problem Reporting.

2.          Turn on Data Archives and Voicemail Files.

3.          Tap Email Problem Report

When do we see support for Samsung?

We already have Cisco Jabber Android supported on Samsung Galaxy Tab International (GT-P1000) with Android 2.2.1 or 2.3. We will support other Android tablets in the near future and that is on our roadmap already

How do i collect Problem Report from my Cisco Jabber on Android?

To send a problem report for Cisco Jabber Androidby email, complete the following steps:

1.          Open Cisco Jabber. We recommend that you set up the Email application on the Android device.

2.          Tap Menu > Settings > Help > Troubleshooting > Problem Reporting.

3.          Check the Audio Engine Logs check box.

4.          Check the Configuration Files check box.

5.          Tap Email Problem Report. Your Email application launches with a new message that contains a prepopulated subject line and attached log files. Enter a description of the problem in the body of the email message and send it to your administrator

Here are some bonus Q&As that our expert had specially prepared on this topic

1. What is Cisco Jabber for Android?

Cisco Jabber for Android is an Android application that lets you place, receive, and manage your work calls using your mobile device. This application connects to your corporate network from any location—on or off the corporate Wi-Fi network—using the Internet instead of your mobile voice network.

When you are in the office, you probably connect to the corporate Wi-Fi directly. When you are away from the office, you can use the secure connect feature to connect to your corporate network from another Wi-Fi or mobile data network.

You can run Cisco Jabber for Android on the following devices:

-Samsung Galaxy S International (GT-I9000) with Android operating system (OS) Version 2.2.1 or 2.3

-Samsung Galaxy Tab International (GT-P1000) with Android 2.2.1 or 2.3

-Samsung Galaxy S II (AT&T) with Android 2.3

2.What is Cisco Jabber 8.6 for iPhone?

Cisco Jabber 8.6 is an application for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, obtained from the App Store. Cisco Jabber lets you manage your work calls using the Internet instead of your mobile service provider.

When you are in the office, you connect to the office Wi-Fi network directly. When you are away from the office, you can use any Wi-Fi connection, but you also must use a VPN connection to your office network. You must set up this VPN connection before you use Cisco Jabber. Contact your system administrator if you need assistance.

3. After upgrading to iOS 5. What do I need to do to ensure that Cisco Jabber functions properly?

iOS 5 changes the way users see incoming calls and notifications in Cisco Jabber. Enable notifications with the following steps:

1.          Tap the native iOS device Settings icon.

2.          Tap Notifications.

3.          Tap Cisco Jabber.

4.          Tap Alerts.

5.          To see a count of missed calls or voice messages on the Cisco Jabber icon, slide the toggle beside Badge App Icon to “ON.”

6.          To hear Cisco Jabber ring while in the background, slide the toggle beside Sounds to “ON.”

7. To hear Cisco Jabber ring or to see alerts while the phone is locked, slide the toggle beside   View in Lock Screen to “ON.”

4. What calling features does Cisco Jabber support?

Cisco Jabber supports the following calling features, which you might already be familiar with from using your Cisco Unified IP Phone:

•          Conference—Allows you to talk simultaneously with multiple callers

•          Transfer—Allows you to redirect a connected call from your phone to another number

•          Hold—Allows you to put an active call into a held state

•          Call park—Allows you to use your phone to park (temporarily store) a call, which you can then retrieve from another phone

•          Shared line (limited)—allows you to use one phone number on your desk phone and iOS device

•          Two calls—Supports two simultaneous calls, and lets you toggle between them.

•          Desk phone integration—You can move calls between your desk phone and your iOS device VoIP over mobile voice network—Allows you to use your mobile voice network for VoIP calls if you leave a Wi-Fi network.

To visit the actual forum that took place on Facebook visit here:

http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSupportCommunity/posts/10151175413331412

To see the archive on Facebook Notes, visit :

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=434632943241981

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.