Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Failed to convert 7940 SCCP firmware 6.x to SIP 6.x

I failed to convert 7940 SCCP 6.0(2.0) (P0030600200) to SIP 6.0 (P0S3-06-0-00)

TFTP Server reports error message "Could not open requested file for reading"

According to the tftpd log file, the following two files were requested:

1. CTLSEP<mac-address>.tlv.

2. SEP<mac-address>.cnf.xml.

I have downloaded the following ten files to tftp root directory:

1. OS79XX.TXT

(P0S3-06-0-00)

2. P0S3-06-0-00.bin

3. P0S3-06-0-00.sbn

4. SIPDefault.cnf

(# Image Version

image_version: P0S3-06-0-00)

5. SIP<mac-address>.cnf

6. Bulletin_6.0.0.txt

7. syncinfo.xml

8. ringer1.pcm

9. ringer2.pcm

10. RINGLIST.DAT

It seems the 7940 phone was requesting SCCP image in stead of the SIP image; But I have specified "P0S3-06-0-00" in the file OS79XX.TXT

What is the problem here? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Jerry

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Failed to convert 7940 SCCP firmware 6.x to SIP 6.x

Hi Jerry,

Here is some info that may help you troubleshoot this issue:

Converting a Cisco 7940/7960 CallManager Phone to a SIP Phone and the Reverse Process

OS79XX.TXT—This file tells the Cisco 7940/7960 which binary to download from the TFTP server. This file is case sensitive and must only contain the name of the file that you want to load, without the .bin extension. For example, if you attempt to load the SIP version 2.3 software, it must contain only the line P0S30203. If you try to load versions 3.0 and later, the file name must be in the format P0S3-xx-y-zz. For example, if you attempt to load the SIP version 7.1 software, OS79XX.TXT must contain the line P0S3-07-1-00. The binary referenced here must also be present in the TFTP root directory. Without this file, the phone does not know which file it needs to retrieve, in order to replace its existing software.

From this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml

Getting Started with Your Cisco SIP IP Phone

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080087511.html#91929

Cisco SIP IP Phone 7960 Software

Release Notes for Cisco SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 6.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/prod_release_note09186a00801f7e08.html

Cisco SIP IP Phone 7960 Software

Release Notes for Cisco SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 6.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/prod_release_note09186a00801d1d80.html

Cisco SIP IP Phone Administrator Guide, Versions 6.x and 7.x

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/ipp7960/addprot/sip/admin/ver6_0/index.htm

Cisco IP Phone 7960 and 7940 Firmware Upgrade Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/ipp7960/addprot/mgcp/frmwrup.htm

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts......

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your quick response. And thanks a lot for your information.

I still could not figure out my problem. So can you please confirm one thing for me: does my 7940 phone use "universal application loader" or OS79XX.TXT to boot?

Please review the following comments, which is in your "Converting a Cisco 7940/7960 CallManager Phone to a SIP Phone and the Reverse Process" document:

--------------------------------------------

Note: In the case of version 3.0 and later, the universal application loader allows you to add additional phone features across all protocols. This feature also eliminates the need for a separate OS79XX.TXT file, which used to be required to boot between protocols.

--------------------------------------------

My OS79XX.TXT file only contains one line which is the name of the image: P0S3-06-0-00

But why the TFTP server log file shows that the following two files were requested:

1. CTLSEP.tlv.

2. SEP.cnf.xml.

At first TFTP Server reports message "Could not open requested file for reading"; Then I created two empty files CTLSEP.tlv and SEP.cnf.xml, but I only got messages "sending CTLSEP.tlv" again and again.

According to my understanding, OS79XX.TXT was not being called at all. But I could not find the CTLSEP.tlv and SEP.cnf.xml files from Cisco software downloads.

Your input is highly appreciated

Best regards

Jerry

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Jerry,

Sorry about that, I think I misled you with the info I sent before. If you look on the document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/ipp7960/addprot/mgcp/frmwrup.htm#wp1046556

There is a recommended Upgrade matrix which shows:

Current Image on Phone Upgrade to This PhoneImage

SCCP images 6.x or later SIP or MGCP images 7.x

P00306000200 upgrade to P0S3-07-1-00

Use procedure C:

Procedure C

Specify the image in the configuration file image parameter for the protocol that is being upgraded to (load_information for SCCP or image_version for SIP and MGCP). Remove any protocol configuration files that are not used for the specified protocol.

For example:

•SCCP—For SCCP, the SEP.cnf.xml file is downloaded when a phone is reset. This file contains the load_information tag that tells the phone which image it should be running. If the image load differs from the one that is currently loaded on the phone, the phone contacts the TFTP server to upgrade to the new image.

•SIP—For SIP, the SIPDefault.cnf and SIP.cnf files are downloaded when a phone is reset. This file contains the image_version parameter that tells the phone which image it should be running. If the image load differs from the one that is currently loaded on the phone, the phone contacts the TFTP server to upgrade to the new image.

•MGCP—For MGCP, the MGCDefault.cnf and MGC.cnf files are downloaded when a phone is reset. This file contains the image_version parameter that tells the phone which image it should be running. If the image load differs from the one that is currently loaded on the phone, the phone contacts the TFTP server to upgrade to the new image.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note For a single step upgrade from an SCCP image to a SIP or MGCP image (manufacturing images, for example) the loadInformation tag in the XML Default.cnf.xml file must reflect the Universal Application Loader Image (P003-xx-y-zz). This step is in addition to the steps listed above for SIP and MGCP. For example:

P003-07-4-00

P003-07-4-00

To resolve image authentication and zip file issues, ensure that the image is extracted from the zip file and that the image is not copied to the TFTP server.

Possible Problems:

•The zip package was not unzipped in the root TFTP directory.

•Files were copied to the TFTP server instead of using the zip package.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content