Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Failsafe Message when subscribers log in

Unity has been running smoothly for months now with the exception of some small issues. However, this morning subscribers could not log onto Unity from inside or outside lines. When subscribers enter their password after the Unity password prompt, they hear silence or get a “sorry the system is unavailable” message. Internal and External callers can still leave messages and the messages arrive in the subscribers mailbox regardless of what server they are homed on. I checked the App. log and found many error messages (listed below) that mean very little to me. After a while we rebooted the Unity server and everything is working fine. I’m concerned this will happen again, does anybody know what could be causing this?<br>Unity 2.4.6(135)<br>TSP 3.02<br>Call Manager 3.11<br>Win2000 sp1<br>Exchange 5.5 sp4<br>Unity server:PHXML02<br>Pri. Exchange server: PHXML01<br><br><br>Error messages from PHXML02 (these are the four most common and there are several of each)<br><br>7:19:30 AM on 9/28/2001<br>Access denied to PHXML01.<br>Locks: 1<br>Thread: 750<br>Locked At: 9/28/2001 1:27:24 PM (GMT)<br><br>7:20:36 AM on 9/28/2001<br>Access denied to PHXML01.<br>Locks: 1<br>Thread: 750<br>Locked At: 9/28/2001 1:27:24 PM (GMT)<br><br>7:20:36 AM on 9/28/2001<br>IAvDohMailUser::get_PrimaryMailbox returned [0x8004000c] on line 209 of file h:\commsvr\Sources\ConversationEng\AvStateSvr\AvSGetMailboxStatus.cpp<br>Running conversation SubMenu on Port 1 <br>Subscriber Display Name : Mellick, Corey <br>Subscriber Alias : cmellick <br>Running conversation SubMsgCount on Port 1 <br><br>7:21:30 AM on 9/28/2001<br>PHXML01 has come back online<br><br>8:25:30 AM on 9/28/2001<br>Message API call failed. Call = LoadMailboxMessages Error = Failed (0x8004aa00).<br>(there are hundreds of these now)<br><br>I know it appears that PHXML02 is losing its connection to PHXML01, but at no point in time could we not send messages between the two. Additionally, We even created a test subscriber homed on PHXML02 and went through subscriber enrollment just fine, but when we tried to access the mailbox, the same problem occurred.<br><br>Do I have the record for the longest post?<br><br>

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Failsafe Message when subscribers log in

Was this an upgrade or a new install?

Can you search your C: drive for the file "AVWm.DLL" and tell me what file size it is (in bytes)? If there's more than one, list them all (full file path) please...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Community Member

This was an upgrade.
My version #'s are:
Unity 2.4.6(135)
TSP 3.02
Call Manager 3.11
Win2000 sp1
Exchange 5.5 sp4

There are two locations for AVWm.DLL.
1. C:\Unity 2_4_6_135\CD1\System\General file size is 140 KB (143,632 bytes)
2. C:\WINNT\system32 file size is 172 KB (176,128 bytes)

Anonymous
N/A

ok... that's your issue. The 172K version is the "single threaded" MAPI access model which we had to use up until Exchange 5.5 SP3. With SP3 they offered mulitple thread access and we took advantage of it by offering the other version of the AVWm.dll file (the 140 k one). However we still defaulted to a single threaded model for safety since we weren't totally confident in Microsoft's multiple threaded model. Upgrades don't overwrite this guy, they leave it as it was.

The multiple thread model in SP3 has held up over time... go ahead and shut down Unity, copy the 140K version over the 170 K version in the System32 directory, reboot your server and you should be in busienss. We wont be watching the up/down status of your other servers and restricting access to them if we think they're down any longer. Should clear your problem.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Community Member

OK then! It's been about five days since I swapped the files and Unity is working like a champ. It's a little bit scary that you figured it out that fast but I'm grateful.

Thanks

Anonymous
N/A

Hey... I'm a professional. Actually, we'd seen that same symptom on a few sytems that had network performance right on the edge of our server ping timouts...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content