Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure Audit

2.46.102, W2k sp1, Ex 5.5 sp4. Multi-server exch. site, all servers on high speed links.<br>I am getting quite a few Failure Audit errors indicating that the Exch Svc account used to run Unity is validated but, unable to access the subscribers mailbox. No complaints from subscribers or other indications of failures.<br>What is this symptom indicating?<br><br>schois

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Failure Audit

If these are the security warnings in the event log (i.e. little security key icon) then you don't need to worry about them. You'll get one of these for each mailbox that we have to log into (i.e. all subscribers) who's mailbox is homed on an external Exchange server (which sounds like all of them in your case).

These are dumped in by Exchange and we can't do much about it. We tried to get the MS guys to suppress it somehow but they were concerned about security. We have "super user" rights to log into every mailbox to check for status changes to light lamps, trigger notifications etc... which works great but the Exchange guys still bark a warning about it.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

The errors I am refering to are in the application log. The icon is a lock, not a key. Looks like your assesment is what is occurring but, to make sure we are on the same subject. Here is an entry from the event log.
Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: MSExchangeIS Private
Event Category: Logons
Event ID: 1023
Date: 7/12/2001
Time: 11:04:11 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXX
Description:
XXX\Exchange Service was validated as /o=XXX/ou=Corporate/cn=Recipients/cn=Unity_XXX but was unable to log on to /o=XXX/ou=Corporate/cn=Recipients/cn=XXXX.

And yes, the Unity server is just for Unity, no msgs stored.

schois

Anonymous
N/A

yeah, I meant a lock... I don't think there is a key icon.

this looks like the guy I'm thinking about. As long as you can call in and check messages over the phone and the notifier is working (i.e. lamps for users are working, notifications are dialing out if set etc...) then you're cool. We're getting all the events we need so we're logged in in both cases, no worries.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content