Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax and CallManager.

j.bedoya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to integrate a FAX to a CallManager installation, I would like to know what is better, connecting the Fax to an ATA and use SCCP?, or connecting the fax using an FXS port in the gatway.

In case the best solution were to connect it to a CallManager, will the FAX work in SRST mode.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We use ATAs. I think this is a better solution because it will allow you to put ATAs in your IDFs and connect your fax machines using existing CAT5 cabling. Another advantage to this solution is the ability to move fax machines if needed. If you use an FXS port in the gateway, all faxes will need to be wired back to the MDF requiring additional cabling and making mobility much more difficult. The ATA will work in SRST mode. Take a look at the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801e0e0d.html

Hope this helps.

Brandon

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

As is usually the case, the right answer depends on your unique network requirements.

The Cisco preferred approach to faxing is fax relay, meaning you will need to use the FXS port. This will work in SRST mode if you use H323. The ATA is a good solution if you don't need to support faxing over G729 links.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: