cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax and Modems through 24 Port FXS

alan-white
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing intermittent probs with faxes and modems on a 24 FXS blade in a 6509. Some fax machines work great, other get connected on sending out and then error out. The same happens with modems. Is echo possibly causing a problem here? Anyone else ran into this?

13 Replies 13

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, which version of CallManager are you using, and what firmware load versions are running on the 6624 blade.

Also, what is the other end of the VoIP leg of these fax and modem calls? Is it a 6608 PRI, H.323 gateway, what?

This is from CM 3.1(2c) open caveats and may be the issue.

CSCdu84212

Modem connections on C6624 FXS are a low speed or unreliable.

Workaround: None exists.

Robert, that DDTS was verified as resolved in 3.1(2) builds. It's actually the 6624 and 6608 firmware loads that are the issue. It is fixed in load A00203010014 for the 6624 and D00403010021 for the 6608... and later.

On one of my 3.1(2c) systems I am running:

A00203010018

D00403010025

I don't remember if those are the 3.1(2c) defaults or not but I know the defaults are at least good enough to have these fixes. Also, you may want to check out the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/fax_6624_h323gw.html

Another thing you can do is use the DickTracy tool and watch the gateway port to see if the call is getting setup as a modem call. If you don't have this tool, let me know and I can send it to you and give you the commands to look at.

Finally, you can try adjusting the restart timer on the 6624 port to both 1235 as well as 1236. 1235 will put the port into fax relay mode if fax tones are detected, otherwise voice will be used, and modems will not work. 1236 will use modem/fax passthrough mode. Echo cancellation and silence suppression will be disabled, a regular voice call will experience echo, and fax calls will use fax passthrough unless the other end of the call requests fax relay.

David,

I do not have this "DickTracy" tool. Is it on CCO? It sounds like something that I could use, since I have had problems with the 6624 in the past, and my company is getting ready to have 120 spoke sites start faxing over IP to the 6624 in our hub site.

Dave,

I am experiencing the same problem as Alan - faxes and modems work intermittently on a 6509 with 6624 fxs blades. Please send me the DickTracy tool so I can troubleshoot the problem. Thanks.

Michael Mendoza

Network Manager

Odessa College

mmendoza@odessa.edu

Dave; I have a new DDTS CSCdu18646. Running

those two loads on 3.1(2c) with unreliable modem connections. Adjusting the TX and RX pads offer some stability depending on the modem vendor.

Dave,

can you send me the Dick Tracy tool (good name!)

I have major problems with fax and modems, not sure of the loads, I'll check them tomorrow but any tool is a good tool in the right hands (and a weapon in the wrong ones).

Paul

Dave,

I am experiencing the same problem as Robert. Can you please send me the DickTracy tool too and the necessary commands to watch the gateway port.

Thanks a bunch.

Dave,

Can you please send me the DickTracy tool also, and the necessary commands to watch the gateway port.

Dan Gavin

dgavin@enventis.com

I am having similar problems with faxes and modems. Would it be possible for you to send me the Dick Tracy tool as well. Thanks

chris.adams@sheridanc.on.ca

ryan.hicks
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue. Cisco has the bug listed for modem connections and there is no workaround. Call Manager 3.1(2C) has the bug listed as well. Cisco sent me a beta load to fix the problem. If you open a case they'll probably send you the beta load.

Dave,

Could you please send me the DickTracy tool,I have a need for it. Thank you very much.

Duc Vu

graemewatson
Level 1
Level 1

Dave,

Could you also send me the tool. I have 3.1.2c and I am still having problems with modems.

Thanks