Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Fax can receive but not send using ATA 187

Hi, i'm fairly new to the world of voice so please bare with me on this one

I'm upgrading a customer from analog telephony to VOIP and the customer wants his faxes working.

Telephone works fine, CUPC works fine, CUBAC works as it should etc but the fax-machines can only receive faxes, not send them.

The setup is:

CUCM 8.5.1.12900-7

CUBE Version 15.1(3)T1

ATA 187.9-2-1-0

I'm using T.38 and SIP

When i put 2 fax machines on the new solution and test them they work. They can send and receive faxes but then the traffic is local and not sendt out over the IP-trunk. When i send a fax to a fax machine (from external) it works but  when the same fax machine tries to send a fax externally it failes.

It places the call but when it tries to send the fax it gives up.

I've atteached the "debug voice ccapi inout" and "debug ccsip all" from CUBE for details.

This is the last issue i have to get this customer flying on Cisco equiptment (i hope).

/Tony

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
4 REPLIES

Re: Fax can receive but not send using ATA 187

hi Tony,

As per my understanding of your issue it looks like faxing (T.38)  fails over the sip trunk only. Internally it works fine.

1. Please confirm if MTP is checked or un-checked on the SIP trunk facing

the cube.

2. If MTP is checked on the SIP trunk, please confirm if you have an IOS

based MTP resource allocated to the MRG assigned to the MRGL of the SIP

trunk.

Thanks,

Karthik

Hi, Karthik

The MTP is not enabled in the SIP-profile in use.

The ATA does send " t38 version0" for some reason which should be compatible with anything using T.38. Or is my assumption wrong?

/Tony

hi Tony,

IT IS NOT UNDER THE SIP PROFILE  !!!

To check if MTP is enabled on the sip trunk , you need to go to Device > Trunk   and can open up the trunk configuration page to see  if Media Termination Point Required   checkbox is  checked or unchecked.

Thanks,

Karthik

Hi

Sorry for misleading you on that one. I know its on the trunk

And i believe i found the cause of my problem. The DN wasnt presented the way the the provider wanted it.

The misleading part was that it failed on media negotioation, not on the call. The log even tell the story of media negotiation being succesful but it also terminates on "cause=64" which is media failure.

I was able to place calls, receive call and receive faxes but not able to send any fax at all. That through me off thinking there was nothing wrong.

Thanks for the help

Views
Helpful
Replies