Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Fax Support

What are the currently supported 3rd party fax vendors available for integration with Unity and Call Manager ?<br><br>Is there an overview of how this integration works ? By this I mean a brief description on the user processes for sending and receiving faxes through a Cisco voice gateway as well as the call paths through the network.<br><br>Tks<br><br>Geoff<br><br>

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Fax Support

Let’s see… the list of fax servers I’ve actually installed and tested in house are:

OmTool Fax Sr.
Optus FacSys
Finestrae Faxination
Interstar’s Lightning Fax
TopHat
AVT’s RightFax

There are others that have successfully used other fax servers (see my other posts out here on how to set the message class we’re filtering on for faxes). I don’t have a list of those handy. The short story is, though, if they have a gateway for Exchange, apply a unique message class to their inbound faxes (i.e. it’s not just an IPM.NOTE message) and you can send faxes from an Outlook client using the address format “[FAX:Name@Delivery Number]”, you’re good to go. You can get faxes and delivery them from over the phone and send emails out to a fax machine from over the phone.

The call flow here is very simple… calls come into analog fax cards on the fax server itself (no fax servers are out there supporting IP fax protocols that I’ve seen yet). Most fax servers support DID or analog DTMF call routing (DID is definitely your better bet). They lookup the FAX ID of the user based on that inbound number and dump the fax into that user’s mailbox via the Exchange gateway.

Unity or CM are not involved in handling the inbound fax at all… we will allow you to send faxes, alert you when they arrive and the like but it’s all up to the fax server in question to get it into the user’s mailbox.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.