cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fax

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Sure you have heard this one before but what's the roadmap for having your DID on the CM accept faxes as well? Only one number for fax/voice.<br><br>I see th 3rd party fax vendors available but wondered what the roadmap has for this feature.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Paul.<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Single number fax requires CNG tone detection and notification on the fly which will require changes in IOS land, call manager, the Skinny/TSP interface and, of course, in Unity. The changes in Unity aren't really too tough but the hard part is we need to be notified that a call is now a fax and to do something with it. Further, in the gateway's it can be dicey to "Switch" from a voice to fax services (it's doable on some equipment/loads, not others). Lots of changes across multiple components needed to make this fly and right now I don't think it's even on the CM/IOS roadmap.

that said, the applications team will be releasing a new service you can run on any version of 3.0(x) or later that will handle all IP based inbound faxes without the aid of 3rd party fax server or analog fax cards etc... it'll be pretty cool (and no charge on our side).

This will require seperate DID lines for fax, of course, but it's pretty easy to setup in IOS and on the Unity side and I think will put some smiles on people's faces. I'll post more details in a week or two when we're ready to go to beta... yes, you'll be able to just download this off AnswerMonkey, set it up, configure IOS and you've got inbound fax routing.

more details to come...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I know you probably can't say much but I have a customer (new install) that wants fax. Are you telling me that if they have unity 3.0(x) or greater and this new "cool feature" comes out they will not need a 3rd party fax solution for faxing in and out?

If you prefer you can email me directly at paul.varenholt@xwave.com

Thanks,

Paul.

Not applicable

the first drop of this fax service for Unity will only be for inbound faxes getting to subscribers. Outbound still needs a few fixes from the IOS folks and some work on our end.

There will be some limits to this... the fine folks in TAC in San Jose have been doing some testing with this and have determined it'll work with the 1751/2600/3600/5300/5400. Notably absent initially is the 7200 which doesn't support the on ramp stuff yet.

We will be pushing on the outbound stuff next but that will be a tougher nut to crack.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

so - basically if I've got a PRI coming in on my vg200 I would dedicate a block of did's on that pri for faxing?