cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FindByName Service Not Available

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I'm working with Unity 3.03 here. I have seen some issues with Unity and the AD Structure at this site. The issue at hand presents itself when a user attemps to locate a subscriber by name. The user is usually informed, by the attendant, that the service is presently not available. the following events are generated.<br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC<br>Event Category: Error <br>Event ID: 10002<br>Date: 2/5/2002<br>Time: 9:53:35 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: NYALBUNITY<br>Description:<br>FindByName returned [0x80004005] on line 212 of file h:\CommSvr\Sources\AvConvUtilities\AvConvAddrSearchSvr\AvSAddrSearcher.cpp <br><br>Running conversation AD on Port 1 <br><br>Running conversation AddrSearchConv on Port 1 <br><br> <br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC<br>Event Category: Error <br>Event ID: 10002<br>Date: 2/5/2002<br>Time: 9:53:35 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: NYALBUNITY<br>Description:<br>IAvDohLocation::Get(AVP_DISTINGUISHED_NAME) returned [0x80004005] on line 7199 of file h:\CommSvr\Sources\AvConvUtilities\AvConvAddrSearchSvr\AvSAddrSearcher.cpp <br><br>Running conversation AD on Port 1 <br><br>Running conversation AddrSearchConv on Port 1<br><br>I am able to add new and existing exchange users from the SA. This is a single domain, multiple exchange server organization. This is the only Unity install in the domain. The majority of the users, 99%, are homed on a single exchange server. Thanks for any help in advance.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

I'm assuming this is outside callers trying to find users by name, not subscribers addressing messages by name.

One possibility is CSCdu26009 - make sure the Example Administrator and Example subscriber are not listed in the alpha directory (uncheck their "list in directory" options in the SA).

If that's not it, I'll get the conversation guys to look up those lines of code and figure out what might be up.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I will check on example admin and example subscriber. The situation however does apply to both outside callers and subscribers trying to forward messages by name.

Not applicable

Was this escalated to TAC already? We just had a similar case come in. Either way, I think your problem is that your default location does not exist in the directory. Here's a technote you can use to diagnose and perhaps address the problem.

Introduction
This technote describes a problem that can occur in Unity 3.0(3) or 3.0(4). This particular problem occurs when an earlier version of Unity was used to update the Active Directory schema, but that version of Unity was not installed. Instead, Unity 3.0(3) or 3.0(4) was installed. Now the directory handler doesn’t work.

Symptom
All searches using the directory handler encounter failsafe after entering the name to search on. For each failure, five errors are logged in the application event log. The first error can be used to identify this problem.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC
Event ID: 10002
Date: 1/16/2002
Time: 12:28:47 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MN-UNITY
Description:
IAvDohLocation::Get(AVP_DISTINGUISHED_NAME) returned [0x80004005] on line 7199 of file h:\CommSvr\Sources\AvConvUtilities\AvConvAddrSearchSvr\AvSAddrSearcher.cpp
Running conversation AD on Port 3
Running conversation AddrSearchConv on Port 3

If this error matches what you see on your system, look in Active Directory in the Unity / Locations container (use Advanced Features view to see this container). If the default location object (named defaultxxxxxxxx) is missing from the Locations container, use the Step-by-Step below to fix the problem.

Step-By-Step
On the schema master:
1) From the Unity 3.0(3) or 3.0(4) CD set, browse to and run \ADSchemaSetup\ADSchemaSetup.exe.
2) Check the first option ‘Exchange 2000 directory monitor’, and uncheck the second option.
3) Click OK to run the program.
4) Click OK at the window ‘The scripts have been run successfully” to exit the program
Note: Schema changes may take some time to replicate through the forest. The next set of steps must be performed after replication of the schema is finished.

On the Unity server:
1) From a command prompt, run \Commserver\ConfigurationSetup\setup –sync
2) Click Next. This may take some time, depending on how many users your domain contains.
3) Click Finish when setup has completed.
To verify that the problem is fixed, again look in Active Directory in the Unity / Locations container to verify that the default location has been created.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: