Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First ActiveFax install

I've got the following:<br>CallManager 3.0(8)<br>Unity Enterprise 2.45 (8 port voicemail license)<br><br>This currently works without any problems (CM and Unity voicemail, that is). We're installing a separate server to act as a faxserver with the Unity ActiveFax software. We've installed a Dialogic Gammalink CPi/400 PCI 4-port analog fax board, Exchange 5.5 w/SP3 into the existing Exchange Site, and the followed Unity ActiveFax directions for the software install. I also have 4 FXS ports available on my 3640 router which will be directly connected to the 4 Gammalink ports (the 3640 is also already in use as the gateway to the ISDN PRI PSTN).<br><br>At this point, I have no more documentation on how to integrate the ActiveFax server into either the Unity ActiveVoice server or the CallManager servers. I'm stuck in a hard place because I have authorization to get Unity training, but Cisco doesn't have it available yet.<br><br><br><br>Jason Roysdon, CCDP/CCNP:Security, MCSE, CNA<br>Network Engineer<br>NetsWork, Inc.<br>

14 REPLIES

Re: First ActiveFax install

I actually think this may be a licensing problem the more I look at it. The ActiveFax and GammaLink services all seem to be running (as viewed under GFStartUtility and Fax Server Monitor), but it doesn't answer for incoming calls. Also, the main Unity ActiveVoice won't find it when I specifc the IP address or server name in the Fax configuration settings.

When I look under Licensing Counts it shows 0 FaxMail Users. Under Licensed Features I show "Fax Port: Off Box."

Also, on the ActiveFax server, it never asked me for any serial numbers, and doesn't appear to not run or generate errors without the licensing dongle.

What am I missing here?

Jason Roysdon, CCDP/CCNP:Security, MCSE, CNA
Network Engineer
NetsWork, Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

OK… lets see if we can work this one through. First, the licenses generated on the fax server (there's a service called LFAVLic that does this) last for 72 hours. If you yank the key it'll keep working for a few days before it tanks out, even between reboots, so that's OK.

Your fax ports configuration is fine. Off Box basically means we're not looking for fax ports on our local server, but instead assuming the fax server is elsewhere.

You do need some fax mail users, however… with only 0 on there you wont be able to set subscribers up such that they can manipulate faxes over the phone. But that’s not the problem you’re dealing with at the moment.

The IP address issue on the SA is likely related to not having a share properly setup on the fax server for cover page information. This is not a critical issue and we can work through it in a bit, but that’s not your major problem at the moment so don’t worry about it.

Is the fax gateway installed into Exchange properly? This gateway should have been installed on the Unity server itself and it will point back to the fax server (you would have been asked for the name/IP address during the Unity setup). Can you check the fax gateway in the Exchange administrator (you’ll find it under the configuration\connections container). If you don’t see the gateway in there, you’ll definitely need to deal with that.

The fact that the fax server isn’t answering calls is actually your major problem and is unrelated to the Unity server in any way. The connection between Unity and the fax server is pretty straight forward. The only thing we’re connecting to it directly for is report information and to update cover page information. The handling of inbound faxes is done completely by the fax server itself and then it uses the gateway to route that fax to the appropriate Exchange inbox (Unity does not get involved with this process). If the ports aren’t answering, you’ve got a more fundamental problem at play here. What do you see in the fax monitor on the fax server (you should see this in the start \ programs group). Does is show active ports?

You said you’re using gammalink cards, which one? Is it analog ports or is it a CPD220 with DID and analog ports combined? Can you take a straight analog line and dial into it directly and hear it go off hook for you? I want to remove the gateway from the equation here… I had another site routing inbound calls through PRI bouncing around to an analog port and it didn’t work, but when we went direct it answered fine… turned out to be a router config issue). Ideally if you could get a fax machine and an analog line to try out the fax ports, that would be a good next step.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

It's a Dialogic Gammalink CPi/400 PCI.

Actually, regarding the licensing, I now recall hearing that we were supposed to get another key (this one shows 65K users for everything else). Not too concerned about the 0 Faxmail users just yet.

Speaking of reboots, about every 4th or 5th reboot the system bluescreens if I try to login to fast (and sometimes if I don't even touch the keyboard), with SENTINEL being the cause. Not sure what's going on there or what that driver is (it didn't start happening until after I installed ActiveFax).

Ok, back to Exchange. Where or how do I install the Fax Gateway? I don't see it as an installed connector. Is that something I should have checked during the Unity ActiveVoice install, and can I easily add it?

What share(s) do I need to create? I'm in awe at how many undocumented steps both Call Manager and Unity products have (creating shares is one of them).

I have managed to get the box to answer calls. If I remove the hardware key, it drops it to only the last two ports available for use (and Xs out the first two). When I had it set like this, I could dial in and it would pick up and start negotiating as expected. I've just done it a second time, and now it Xs out all four lines, but still answers.

I know the 4 FXS ports from the Gammalink to the 3640 ring out, as when I put a POTS phone on it they'll ring and I can answer, and they can also pick up and get dial-tone, and dial 9 for an outside line. But I'll try connecting them directly to analog trunks as well.

When you say "Active Ports," I'm not sure if it's working properly. When I stop the driver, I'll get 4 Xs for the ports. When I start it, I can click on those Xs and they go grey (but not a solid blue square like I'd expect).

Borrowing an analog trunk, no, the Gammalink ports don't answer. I'm also getting "Error - GrtInit (105)" in the Dialogic Send/Receive Fast Test applet that lets me see the App. State for each line. In the GammaFax NT Dispatcher Spy screen it shows that same first channel as "Failed"." The others all still show as "Uninitialized" in the Gammalink Test applet.

At this point, I'm wondering if I should just remove the server from the Exchange Site, and blow it away and start from scratch. As I've been reading more posts here, I'm wondering if a stand-alone ActiveFax server actually needs to have Exchange even installed? Sounds like the Fax Gateway resides on the Unity ActiveVoice server, but the install directions showed to install it before installing ActiveFax.

Yet another BSOD from SENTINEL on boot up. Any idea what SENTINEL is? I'm guessing it's what goes out looking for the hardware key.

Network Engineer
NetsWork, Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

Yes, Sentinal is the driver that reads the key... this is blue screening on the Fax server box? Hmmmm... haven't seen that one before. Any chance your parallel port is configured without an IRQ or something? You'll see some posts out here about that or various BIOS versions of Compaqs that have issues as well. They don't normally cause blue screens but it's worth a look. Can you check and see what version of the Sentinal driver is actually loaded on that box? In the registry under HKLM\Software\Rainbow Technologies\ you'll see a key or two in there that says "PD-5.34" and/or "PD-5.38". This is your version number. If it's not 38 we can manually install the updated drivers on that box (which has some fixed for win2k). It should be 38 since that's what the Unity install uses for 2.4.6 and I'd be suprised if they were pulling a different version for the Active Fax install, but you never know.

No, you don't need Exchange on the fax server box at all. The fax gateway gets installed on the Unity server by default during the Unity installation. It detects that the key has "off box" on it and will kick in with a dialog that asks you what server the fax server is on. You need to install the fax server first, get it flying then install Unity with ActiveFax and it should go through smoothly.

The share thing is kinda obnoxious... that should have gotten into the install guide and I'm not sure why it didn't. You'll find it in the README file under the Documents directory on CD #1 of your set. There's a section titled "Selecting fax coversheets on seperate ActiveFax server" that has a couple steps in there. If you just create the share with full read/write access for everyone you can ignore the garbage about trusts and all that.

The red Xs indicate that the ports are not licensed. They will answer calls but your system wont work properly. This likely has something to do with the fact that it can't read the security key since the Sentinal driver seems to be giving you fits. The LFAvLic process needs to read the key to generate a full license. It'll operate in "demo mode" for 24 hours I believe without the key on there (two ports allowed).

If you're not too far into the configuration steps, I would definitely reconfigure and take another run at it. Blow that fax server box away and install it without Exchange (you're eating a pretty big cost there!)... It should just be on a member server in the same domain with Unity.

After you get that fax server configured (preferably without the security key driver barking at you) you can rerun the Unity install and select the fax installation option. This should drop on the gateway onto the Unity Exchange server and configure it to point at your fax server.

Smooth as silk. Yeah, I know... the ActiveFax phenomena is not my favorite thing in the world either.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Uninstalled ActiveFax, Exchange, and GammaLink drivers. This box came pre-bricked from Gateway with NT4 Server will all the drivers automatically installing, and I don't know if the driver CD will do the same brick install or if I'll end up fighting drivers, etc., so for now I'm not going to wipe the box just yet.

Regarding the parallel port, I'd tried it with ECP (default) and standard settings, and either way it would BSOD at "random" boots no matter the settings, so I put it back. The worst thing is that it won't do it consistantly, only every fourth or fifth time. The registry key shows PD-5.38.

Reinstalled GammaLink drivers. Tested using GammaLink Send Test Applet and I'm able to send a fax and also see it answer a fax and dump it to a TIF. That rules out hardware/driver isssues to me on the GammaLink side.

We've already got 78 Unity ActiveVoice users with two months of voicemails, so reinstalling Unity ActiveVoice isn't something I want to do if I can avoid it. Does it take a full reinstall, or can I just have it add the component? Time to review the Unity backup procedures, I guess.

At this point I've just reinstalled Unity ActiveFax and it auto-detects the 4 Gammalink channels and appears to start up (the 4 Xs go away), but then after 30-60 seconds the 4 red Xs come back.

TAC/Unity had 5 people in front of me at 4pm and closes at 6:30pm PST. I don't think I'm getting a call back today. Well, I have learned a good deal through here, and definately appreciate all the help so far!

Network Engineer
NetsWork, Inc.

Oh, the Sentinel BSODs are back after reinstalling Unity ActiveFax. The BIOS was set to IRQ 7, IO 378, ECP. I've changed it to IRQ 5, same IO, and Bi-Directional.

Is there any way to force the licensing service to go out and read the dongle or check that it has? I'm wondering if it's just that on every 4th or 5th boot that it happens to be checking and then causing the BSOD. I'll search the archives for SENTINEL and see what I can dig up.

Network Engineer
NetsWork, Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

Yeah, I was going to have you force LFAvLic next and see what it's log file kicks out. It runs as a service by default with no logs, but you can run it manually as an application as well.

Under the commserver\fax directory you should find "LFAVLIC.EXE". Run it and wait for a few seconds and it should kick out a log file in that directory. Open it up and it'll tell you how many ports it found on the key (if any) or if the key was not found. If this works it should generate a license that's good for a few days and can give you some breathing room at least.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Also, try disabling the lfAVLic service in the SCM and see if the blue screen goes away... this little guy may be tryign to punch into the key while the library is still loading or something. That's my best theory at the moment...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I'll do that before any crucial reboots (installs, etc.). So long as I allow the service to run once the system is fully booted, things will function normally, correct?

Network Engineer
NetsWork, Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

All that service is doing is generating a new license every 24 hours, so yes... you can disable it and run it post boot. I'm mostly interested in the short term now to see if solves the blue screen problem and to force the local run to see what comes up in the log (that will tell us if the key is visible).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I found it in C:\Program Files\ActiveFax\, and it generated a log stating 2 ports were allowed. That should be fine for now until the replacement hardware keys arrive.

I haven't had any BSOD since I disabled the service. I'm going to bounce the box a few times and see if it happens again. Bi-Directional and IRQ5 may have been the solutions (I'd tried Bi-Directional before, but never changed the IRQ).

Now that it is licensed, two green boxes show and two red X'd boxes, which is what it should for now. I've disconnected the two extra ports, and the first two appear to answer with no problems.

Regarding Unity ActiveVoice and the Exchange Fax Gateway Connector - Does that require a reinstall to do that (and will that nuke my users and/or data?)? If so, can I use the tool I saw posted earlier to do a complete export, re-install with the Fax Gateway, and then import?

Network Engineer
NetsWork, Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

Well, I'd like to think it was the IRQ 5 thing but I suspect it's the service hitting the key at startup and the security key libraries aren't don't loading or something. We can delay the service from starting or something, but we can tackle that one later.

No, you shouldn't have to reinstall the server, you should be able to just run an upgrade and it'll do it's thing. If not, you can just install the gateway directly off CD #1 if you're careful. Try the upgrade first and see if it offers you the option. Just running the upgrade shouldn't hurt anything even if the AF install option doesn't kick in.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll dig up my notes on the gateway installation... it's been a while since I've dealt with that.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Is Unity ActiveFax software included with Unity Enterprise? I have Call Mngr & Unity Enterprise and need faxing.....where can I find the specs on getting this integrated. Is there additional licenses needed?
I just need a little direction.
Thanks

Summer

Anonymous
N/A

No, ActiveFax is not part of the Unity package... technically we're not supposed to be selling it with new installs, it's only supposed to be available for folks who are upgrading systems that already have ActiveFax. The product offering is being fased out for 3.0 entirely and only 3rd party fax will be supported.

If you're going to do 3rd party fax integration (search the forum, several posts out here on the fax servers supported and the like) then you need to get "FaxMail user" licenses... this will allow folks to access faxes over the phone and delivery them and/or deliver their email as a fax (if they also have a TTS license).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content