cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Force IP Phone restart

Chuck Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to force an IP phone to reset if it is off the hook? Say the call manager went down and the phone displayed CM Down features disabled, could you send a reset signal to the phone to force it to drop the call and restart?

4 Replies 4

tringwelski_2
Level 1
Level 1

There are 2 ways, first is to cycle power, second is to hit ##*# and the phone resets.

Todd

Why do you want to restart a phone if the primary CallManager goes down and the message CM down features disabled appears? Normally, the phone will complete its registration to the secondary CallManager when the user hangs up the phone.

If you are using inline power you can perform a shut/no shut on the port that the phone is on, this will cause it to restart.

BTW, **#**is the correct sequence to reset the phone.

Additionally, at least with 7940/7960 phones running SIP firmware, one can telnet into the phone [provided the "telnet_level: " command is set to either "1" (Enabled) or "2" (Privileged)] and simply enter the command "reset".

Unfortunately, I had no success with either the " ##*# " or the " **#** " commands in my attempts to reset my 7960 SIP phone.

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

sip:fc@iptel.org

Depending on what phone load you are using the **#** works in different places. WIth newer phone loads 7, 7.1, 7.2 (i think) you actually have to run that key sequence from one of the sub-menus, i.e., Settings, directories. The older phone loads you could just hit the sequence from the main screen. Like i said, they changed it in a recent phone load, but I'm not sure which one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: