cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forestprep, Domainprep, or both?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

On the unity install, the guide mentions going through the forestprep setup if the server is the first exchange 2000 server in the forest and domainprep if the server is the first exchange 2000 server in the domain. If, for example, I have only one unity server, and that server is the only exchange 2000 server, as well as the only active directory server on the network, do I run either, or both? Thanks,<br>Chris<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

If it's the first time you're installing an Exchange 2000 server into the domain, you need to run domainprep to create the domain groups and system accounts for Exchange.

You also need to run forestprep for the forest to extend the Schema necessary for Exchange 2000 and grant the necessary permissions for the first E2k administrator.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Not applicable

This is great info. I'm wondering if my failure to run domainprep is causing the problems I'm seeing. I'm rebuilding my unity server now and will let you know shortly what I find.

Not applicable

while i always do it manually, ForestPrep and DomainPrep both run automatically during Setup, but only if the Exchange administrator account is a member of the SchemaAdmin and EnterpriseAdmin groups and if the first Exchange 2000 server installation takes place in the same domain as the Schema Master.(which is obviously the case in a single server setup) When this is the case, you do not need to manually execute either utility. By default, the account with which you have logged on becomes the designated Exchange 2000 administrator.

John Messina
Network Engineer
Crimson Technologies Inc,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: