Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

frame relay QoS and voice traffic

I am setting up toll bypass voice gateways at several of my company's offices and have run into some trouble in configuring QoS. I am configuring WFQ, cRTP, FRTS, and IP RTP priority on the frame relay WAN. In configuring FRTS, you should set the "bandwidth" to the CIR of your link. However, my company generally has a 128K CIR on a T1 port (actually about 4 PVC's to a port). Management believes that we can burst as much as we need to on the ports with no detriment to traffic. Getting them to pay for increased CIR's is almost impossible. Is there another way to configure FRTS in this instance so that I am not limited to CIR and can use the whole port without hurting my voice traffic? How will I be affected if video is thrown into the mix? Thanks.

1 REPLY

Re: frame relay QoS and voice traffic

Here's the problem, your CIR is what you are guaranteed, anything beyond that you may or may not get. Burstable limits are also limited to time as well. You usually can't burst for an unlimited time.

I personally would not base any of my voice call traffic shaping on what you could potentially have versus what you are guaranteed. The last thing you need is to have an important voice call dropped or voice quality compromised. Data may not be as big a deal.

Video requires QoS as well for smooth looking images so the same thing applies. Good luck.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content