cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO-M1 issues

jtdyer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to implement a 2600 gateway (12.1.5T IOS) for PSTN access using a NM-2V and a FXO-M1 card. I picked up the M1 version because we need incoming callerid.

I configured the 2600 to use MGCP -- and had the following odd things happen:

1. couldn't see callerID on the phones. Yet when I checked during test calls with show commands, I could see the callerid info on the gateway itself. Is there something in CallManager I need to do?

2. couldn't make any outbound calls. by looking at shows on the gateway, I'd see a port go offhook (I'd hear dead air) and then go back onhook in a few seconds.

I was looking for call routing problems, etc -- and then I happened to pick up a regular FXO card & swap out the FXO-M1 -- the callerID statement disappeared from the config (expected) -- but now outbound calls worked fine. No changes to the config, no call manager changes. Swap out with a different FXO-M1 card, same problem -- no outbound calls. Swap out with another FXO card, outbound calls work.

I MUST be missing SOMETHING with configuring the FXO-M1 card, but I don't know what it is.

Here's the interesting part of the 2600 config:

!

mgcp

mgcp call-agent 192.168.68.20

mgcp dtmf-relay codec all mode out-of-band

call rsvp-sync

!

ccm-manager mgcp

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 192.168.75.10 255.255.255.0

no ip mroute-cache

full-duplex

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.75.1

!

voice-port 1/0/0

caller-id enable

!

voice-port 1/0/1

caller-id enable

!

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

application mgcpapp

port 1/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

application mgcpapp

port 1/0/1

!

Thanks!

John

5 Replies 5

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. What you are missing is that the caller-id feature does not work when using MGCP signaling to the CallManager. If caller ID is required then you must use H.323 mode instead.

DOH!

Does the same apply to VG200s running 12.15XM1 or 12.15T?

Is it listed in the docs/website somewhere?

I can then at least point the TAC at them as well, since it's open as a case w/ them.

I actually haven't seen that anywhere. However note that if Caller ID is of importance, then you can still use the VG200 in H.323 mode as the feature is supported like that in 12.1(5)XM1.

If you need info on when Caller ID in MGCP mode will be supported, I would suggest you contact your Cisco account team and ask them to find out from the marketing product manager for AVVID gateways.

I did switch to H.323 last night for testing -- & caller id did work with the FXO-M1 cards on inbound calls. However, i'm still unable to get outbound calls to go -- and doing my debug & show commands on the gateway, it appears that the ports aren't getting dialtone -- I can see it flip through all 4 ports (based on the preference values I set) & then give up. I couldn't see that with MGCP commands earlier, but its pretty easy to see with H.323... STILL, when I swapped the M1 ports for regular FXO ports, outbound calls worked fine (no config changes, etc). Is there anything special that needs to be done to get an FXO-M1 card (anything on the "voice-port") to pick up the line? It's like the ports are stuck in an "inbound only" mode.

Could it be that I got bad VICs -- from different orders & hopefully different manufacturing batches?

Tac hasn't looked at the outbound call problem yet, they're still working on callerid w/ mgcp -- which is the first case I submitted. And since it's just a lab/testing problem, I haven't made an issue of it...

hahnl
Level 1
Level 1

Word of caution about FX0-M1 card - there is a known timing bug that causes irratic disconnects on incoming calls - I beleive it is scheduled to be corrected in 12.2 T We had to fall back to the FX0 card to address this issue until bug is fixed.